•  
Advertise here

To lift or not to lift? That is the question

We all love the X for its ready to use off-road prowess but recently I've been toying with getting it lifted, 2 inches or so. I feel it would offer me better off road performance, but then some say the centre of gravity is thrown but spacers would sort that. Would I need to change the wheels? (stock at present)

I'm not sure, I guess with a body lift you'd need to cut the bumper? And what about a suspension lift? Any advice X guys and gals?

xterra-body-lift.jpg

I want!!! Oh , just clocked the snorkel (clearly right hand drive haha)

• Like (+1) 6

I put on a 50mm suspension spacer lift to my pathfinder last week. Everything is good, no gravity issue no rubbing against any parts. My tyre size is 265 70 r16 (Stock), I believe this should be the same to Xterra if the tyre size matches

I did the lift purely to improve pathfinder's poor clearance and angles, and ofc the cost isnt as much as swapping the suspensions, 500 AED for the 4 spacers + labor cost.

Edited by Zixuan Huang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Zixuan Huang said:

I put on a 50cm suspension spacer lift to my pathfinder last week. Everything is good, no gravity issue no rubbing against any parts. My tyre size is 265 70 r16 (Stock), I believe this should be the same to Xterra if the tyre size matches

I did the lift purely to improve pathfinder's poor clearance and angles, and ofc the cost isnt as much as swapping the suspensions, 500 AED for the 4 spacers + labor cost.

Oh , I’ll research it for the X 

6 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Disclaimer - most of my information is gathered by reading from the xterra forums www.newx.org and the tons of discussions on the xterra group in Dubai. I felt the crux being for off road models, the stiffer Bilstein 5100 is good enough sans the lift .

2 to 2.5 inch lift (not with spacer to level but with stiffer coil struts in front and leafs at back) would be useful 

1. For better off road clearance 

2. Slightly better performance off road with better suspension travels 

Yes the COG is affected , and hence it can be negated to some extent with 35 to 38 mm spacers . (Within the RTA allowed limits which I believe is upto 2 inches . Anything more and your car might not pass the annual clearing). Other option being to go for more expensive offset rims which are again like finding hens teeth, very limited options.

Spacers cause rubbing of your wheels against the inner wheel liner , which needs a "melt mod" . Basically pushing in the bumpy plastic liner parts after softening with a heat gun. Only if you go for a tire upsize (potentially decreasing the power you need on sand)you will need more adjustments in terms of fender cuts and bumper cuts. Another minor issue being the long travel would potentially cause  hitting at the top, which can be minimised by changing the bump stops to a thicker ones (Change the X bump stops to the FJ ones )

Why there is so much confusion with the lifts/suspension on X (especially in Dubai) is

1. Options available are limited unlike the jeeps or FJ - few actually understand the correct mechanics involved and the adjustments to be made.

2. Wierd placement options for the oil reservoirs (if you opt for ones with remote reservoirs which are a bit more expensive ) , which may not serve the optimal function as intended to be or claimed .

3. Bilstein 5100 stock on off road models is good enough for abuse , and pretty pocket friendly.

4. Rear sway bar rubs against thicker shocks when you change them to stiffer (thick ) ones .(controversial - different opinions)

5. With stiffer lifts - and off road revving engine /gear mounts are prone to break more frequently - which are inherently bit weaker in the X (controversial- different opinions).

6. With stiffer leafs at the back combined with stiffer shocks you will need angle correction  shims - else you will have vibrations at higher speeds.

7. Stiffer struts at the front tend to squeak probably due to sand sticking in some washers /bushes ,  so potentially both front and back could squeak.  Not sure if this happens with all brands. And hence you will need a music system upgrade to better speakers, amp etc etc to nullify it🤣🤣.

8. Widening the stance with spacers or offset rims potentially reduces the wheel bearing life span causing them to wear and tear at a faster rate than stock.

1 to 8 is as much I understood reading all the information available,  but since I am not an expert i would like to improve on that if there is anything more clear.

I hope you could find an answer,  or now have more questions 🤣🤣🤣

Amazing ! Thank you , you’ve put me right off 🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Amazing ! Thank you , you’ve put me right off

Some more pics  and links added for your interest.  Please analyze thoroughly before you decide on one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I vote "NO LIFT" . Only because for me as a beginner seeing marshals and expert driver in stock or mostly stock vehicles helps to build confidence. Similar to "I can make it because the car in front of me made it". 

Seeing modified vehicles gives all us newbies the thought of.  Well, If I had "that modified car" I could do those things. Seeing the many marshals and expert drivers at Carnity promoting only the mods you "need" for your vehicle is great and one reason why I am here and not with another club. 

If you want a lift just because you like it, that's different. Buy the best one in your budget and enjoy :) 

Just my opinions of course.. Its also way more cool to drive at your level without big mods so all of the crazy dune bashing big mod groups watch in amazement when you drive past them effortlessly.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

29 minutes ago, Wade Pat2 said:

I vote "NO LIFT" . Only because for me as a beginner seeing marshals and expert driver in stock or mostly stock vehicles helps to build confidence. Similar to "I can make it because the car in front of me made it". 

Seeing modified vehicles gives all us newbies the thought of.  Well, If I had "that modified car" I could do those things. Seeing the many marshals and expert drivers at Carnity promoting only the mods you "need" for your vehicle is great and one reason why I am here and not with another club. 

If you want a lift just because you like it, that's different. Buy the best one in your budget and enjoy :) 

Just my opinions of course.. Its also way more cool to drive at your level without big mods so all of the crazy dune bashing big mod groups watch in amazement when you drive past them effortlessly.

Yes, of course! And I have led and taken part in Intermediate and Extreme drives in my 'stock X' with no issues. Therefore,  I don't really need it, I just like to spend money haha. 

Thank you for helping me make up my mind . 

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Some more pics  and links added for your interest.  Please analyze thoroughly before you decide on one. 

You know, it just looks like the lift mod brings a heap of issues. For the X at least. 

As I said to @Wade Pat2so far my stock ReBelle X has managed all level of drives, including Extreme, so I really don't need it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Speaking as someone who purchased a car just to spend money , rebuild and mod as a hobby.

If you want to lift and start down the modding road because it's fun..go for it. 

Rebuilding and conservatively modding is my favourite part of off-road. I fix, research, buy, search for and swap parts and mods way more than I actuall drive. Haha

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1