•  
Advertise here

Only one working reverse light on the Y61

A few weeks ago while getting a skid plate installed, I finally saw my Y61 being reversed. And that's when I saw that the right-hand side reverse light was out. I've never checked the reverse light of my cars unless someone has pointed them out (now a note to myself for the future). My car is only a few months old and so this felt like an issue that needed to be fixed.

Fast forward to this morning, where the guys at Arabian Automobiles told me that this is how its meant to be. The sales rep at the Deira branch told me that it's got something to do with the fact that it's common in "France" which I thought was very strange and weird. Why would the French with all of their infinite design wisdom make only one light (on the left-hand-side) work. When I said to him that Nissan is Japanese, he said it's Renault Nissan. Because I don't really have any facts on this, I left. All of this sounds quite strange. I've found some forums in Australia that call out this single light but wanted to see if this is common here in the UAE too.

Is this a real Y61 Nissan Patrol quirk or do I have a faulty reverse light?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1

For such an "overpriced" off-road legend now Nissan / Renault / Arabian Auto skimping on one reverse light. 

Please don't buy sales and service advisors stories, they are creatively trained to tackle any situation.

@Mario Cornejo do you have two reverse light or just one?

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@munkybizness  if they did, it's probably to save cost to make similar features for both Europe & Middle East. According to European Union Law Regulation No 48 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UNECE) — Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices [2019/ 57] (europa.eu)  :

5.1.5 Reversing Lamp color is White and Rear Fog Lamp is Red

6.4 Minimum 1 Reversing Lamp mandatory

6.11 Minimum 1 Rear Fog Lamp mandatory

So to fullfil above requirements, they probably make 1 Reversing Lamp White on the Left + 1 Rear Fog Lamp Red on the Right.

Below photo is Honda (Japanese) and it only has 1 Bright Red Rear Fog Lamp. Test your Y61 rear fog lamp and post pics please 🙂

HondaREAR.jpg.56c91f147192ef55860863840ee5d611.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Zed said:

@munkybizness  if they did, it's probably to save cost to make similar features for both Europe & Middle East. According to European Union Law Regulation No 48 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UNECE) — Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices [2019/ 57] (europa.eu)  :

5.1.5 Reversing Lamp color is White and Rear Fog Lamp is Red

6.4 Minimum 1 Reversing Lamp mandatory

6.11 Minimum 1 Rear Fog Lamp mandatory

So to fullfil above requirements, they probably make 1 Reversing Lamp White on the Left + 1 Rear Fog Lamp Red on the Right.

Below photo is Honda (Japanese) and it only has 1 Bright Red Rear Fog Lamp. Test your Y61 rear fog lamp and post pics please 🙂

HondaREAR.jpg.56c91f147192ef55860863840ee5d611.jpg

Thanks for this reference! I’ll do a rear fog lamp test this evening and share here. 

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

For such an "overpriced" off-road legend now Nissan / Renault / Arabian Auto skimping on one reverse light. 

Please don't buy sales and service advisors stories, they are creatively trained to tackle any situation.

@Mario Cornejo do you have two reverse light or just one?

You’re absolutely right. Sounds very fishy (and cheap)!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

@Mario Cornejo do you have two reverse light or just one

Hi everyone,  yes, my Y61 (2017) has one reverse light only and I've been told the story about compliance with regulations of governments in European Union and Australia. Compliance was also the reason why tail, signal and brake lights were moved to the rear bumper, but I am not sure from which year onward.

Fog lights are located along with the reverse light.

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi everyone,  yes, my Y61 (2017) has one reverse light only and I've been told the story about compliance with regulations of certain governments. Compliance was also the reason why tail, signal and brake lights were moved to the rear bumper, but I am not sure from which year onward.

Thanks for confirming @Mario Cornejo! I’ll get back some sleep I’ve lost over this now 😅

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Compliance was also the reason why tail, signal and brake lights were moved to the rear bumper

I have been wondering this for some time already... y61 and lc70s have proper lights at back, and manufacturers only activate the additional ones on bumper.... weird stuff