Advertise here

Looking for best car up to 25k! Nissan Xterra or Jeep Wrangler

10 hours ago, CasperPL said:

Hi guys, just a quick update. I decided to go for Jeep Wrangler 2009, as I managed to find a very clean and stock model. Had to stretch my budget a little, but I am happy with the decision. See you on the desert!

Congrats !

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 2 months later...

Excellent advice on purchasing an xterra.

Please provide feedback on the purchase of an American-specification 2010 xterra model. For 20kAED.

As I verify the VIN number. There are no significant incidents in the engine or front of the vehicle. Only a few dents on the back. That has been prepared by the agent.

However, I'm concerned about American spec and the Electronics' VRC, Slip, ABS, and airpressure functions. Would it impact desert performance? With a disable switch or by removing it manually, is it adaptable to desert conditions?

I liked the car inside and out, and it is within my budget. Do I need to spend an additional 5K to get it ready for desert? Or a small amount suffices.

If not American, I have an option offer on 2008 GCC spec vehicle for 12k However, it has been exploited in the desert. And interior are completely not in good condition. Is it still worthwhile at this price and another 8k I can afford to prepare it?

Looking forward to your insights.. @Chaitanya D @Krishna RR and all. 🙏

Edited by Sreenath G

Hello @Sreenath G

American specs are ok if you can be sure of the accident history and the car is in decent condition. The Americans don't dune bash like us. Most of them would overland which doesn't damage the car as much.

Do note that US Xterras also come in 2WD models as well, so you need to get a "Pro 4X" model which is the Offroad version we have here. If not, just jump in and look for the 4H, 4L knob. A 2WD X is good only for pulling donuts.

American Xterra's electronics are the same as the GCC ones. Anyway, you will install a kill switch for traction and ABS before entering the desert.

Check the radiator and the cooling system thoroughly. American specs have a history of SMOD. Google it. If you see any traces of SMOD, walk away, not worth the headache.

Regarding the budget to get it desert ready - You will have to change all fluids(engine, trans, transfer case, diff) and then drive the car to see other issues. The X has a tendency to hide issues and expose them one at a time in regular intervals :) 

2008 X for 12K seems too shady. And if has been abused, not worth the risk and 8K might not fix it. Again, it depends on the condition of the car. Don't worry too much about the interior, thats inexpensive to fix, the mechanical part is what you need to focus on.

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Sreenath G said:

Thank you @Krishna R. Yes I checked the 4H and 4L all available. It is SE 4x4 model. I'm wondering how to check the SMOD while inspection of the vehicle. Can through light on that... Pls

Hello @Sreenath G

If the car was affected by SMOD, it would have been fixed before putting up for sale. 

Anyhoo,

First, check if the radiator is OEM Nissan and matches the age of the car or at least looks used. If it looks like it was recently replaced that may be a sign it was affected by SMOD.

Remove the radiator cap and the coolant tank cap and ensure the coolant is clear with no froth. If you see strawberry/chocolate milkshake, walk away. Check underneath the cap as well.

Check for general transmission issues post 50 kmph, like slipping, shifting lag etc. Trans check is very important. I would suggest you to drive a couple of xterras before checking the US spec one so that you understand the shifts.

In case the car was affected by SMOD, if the radiator was replaced and trans was flushed immediately, there would be no issues. If the car were to run with SMOD, the transmission had to be replaced. 

One good thing here is that SMOD was identified only till 2008 models. Yours being a 2010 shouldn't have this issue. 

The Nissan recall was for 2005-2008 models as long as I know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:01 AM, Sreenath G said:

Thank you @Krishna R. Yes I checked the 4H and 4L all available. It is SE 4x4 model. I'm wondering how to check the SMOD while inspection of the vehicle. Can through light on that... Pls

see and read the link below

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/smod-hit-list-year-mileage-user-and-outcome.62655/page-19

2009 onwards SMOD is unheard of, but better to be safe with checks.

American specs - please check thoroughly that their 4WD and diff lock if available is working properly.

You will have many X up for sale with GCC specs , just keep a close watch with some patience.

many have Abused but well kept their Xterra well in this part of the world ☺️, so good luck

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

see and read the link below

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/smod-hit-list-year-mileage-user-and-outcome.62655/page-19

2009 onwards SMOD is unheard of, but better to be safe with checks.

American specs - please check thoroughly that their 4WD and diff lock if available is working properly.

You will have many X up for sale with GCC specs , just keep a close watch with some patience.

many have Abused but well kept their Xterra well in this part of the world ☺️, so good luck

Thank you @Chaitanya D