•  
Advertise here

Jeep Lightning Bolt check engine light & the "pedal dance" to temporarily reset it

On a recent drive, our friend's Jeep went into Limp Mode with these OBD error codes:

P0776-obd.jpg

We will talk about P2110 which basically means certain conditions have told the Computer (ECU/ECM) to tell the Electronic Throttle Body to go into Limp Mode (reduced RPM and restricted gearing). In the above scenario, P0776 is probably the condition that triggered the Computer, but it could be other conditions.

Anyways, when a Jeep goes into Limp Mode, you will notice that Zeus has thrown the bolt at you:

red-lightning-bolt-on-dash.pngyellow-lightning-obd.jpg

Jeep has these "hidden pedal dances" , the famous one is when you get Oil Service Light and you can tell the computer to forget about it and remind me 5000kms later.

The Jeep Pedal Dance to tell the Electronic Throttle Body to "mind your own business, I need to go home (or garage) is:

1. Insert key to ON but DON'T START ENGINE.

2. WAIT 10 seconds for some warning lights to disappear. Check Engine Light (CEL) may remain, and that's fine. I'm talking about other lights like Battery light etc.

3. SLOWLY PRESS gas pedal within 10 seconds all the way down to the floor.

4. SLOWLY RELEASE gas pedal within 10 seconds all the way up.

4. Turn key to OFF position

5. Now turn key to ON and START ENGINE.

6. Test if Throttle Body is not in Limp Mode by pressing gas pedal.

6. Repeat if Bolt Check Light still on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1