•  
Advertise here

Newbie here... looking for Advice and Suggestions

Hello everyone,

I've been checking out the discussions here, especially about Offroad and Desert Driving, and I'm excited to get some advice as I dive into this new world. While I've driven small hatchbacks and sedans before, owning a 4x4 like the Nissan Patrol V6 2020 Base Model is a whole new experience for me.

I was originally looking to buy a Super Safari, but I found most of them were either beat up or way too pricey. Luckily, I found a 2020 Patrol V6 model with only 21,000 kilometers on it at a Nissan Pre-Owned dealership, and it checked out all right.

Now, I have a few questions for you all.

First off, I've noticed the Patrol feels pretty sluggish. I get it, it's got a V6 engine and it's a heavy car. But compared to my other ride, a Golf GTI, it feels really slow. In the past, I've added things like Open Air Filters (wont call them cold air intakes because of our Awesome Weather... lolz) and put in a decent exhaust or swapped out the catalytic converter for a better muffler to boost performance. Do you think I should do similar mods to the V6 Patrol? And if so, which ones? I've looked online but didn't find much for the V6 model specifically.

I'm also starting to explore the desert, though I haven't tackled any dunes yet. I know the Patrol isn't the best for dune driving, and I'm totally new to it anyway. So, I'm thinking of getting better tires that work well on highways and for weekend desert trips. I'm also considering lightweight wheels to help with the sluggish feeling.

I plan to make these changes gradually, both because of money and because I want to enjoy each upgrade as I go. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on these mods and any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Peace,

On 3/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, throttlejockey said:

Hello everyone,

I've been checking out the discussions here, especially about Offroad and Desert Driving, and I'm excited to get some advice as I dive into this new world. While I've driven small hatchbacks and sedans before, owning a 4x4 like the Nissan Patrol V6 2020 Base Model is a whole new experience for me.

I was originally looking to buy a Super Safari, but I found most of them were either beat up or way too pricey. Luckily, I found a 2020 Patrol V6 model with only 21,000 kilometers on it at a Nissan Pre-Owned dealership, and it checked out all right.

Now, I have a few questions for you all.

First off, I've noticed the Patrol feels pretty sluggish. I get it, it's got a V6 engine and it's a heavy car. But compared to my other ride, a Golf GTI, it feels really slow. In the past, I've added things like Open Air Filters (wont call them cold air intakes because of our Awesome Weather... lolz) and put in a decent exhaust or swapped out the catalytic converter for a better muffler to boost performance. Do you think I should do similar mods to the V6 Patrol? And if so, which ones? I've looked online but didn't find much for the V6 model specifically.

I'm also starting to explore the desert, though I haven't tackled any dunes yet. I know the Patrol isn't the best for dune driving, and I'm totally new to it anyway. So, I'm thinking of getting better tires that work well on highways and for weekend desert trips. I'm also considering lightweight wheels to help with the sluggish feeling.

I plan to make these changes gradually, both because of money and because I want to enjoy each upgrade as I go. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on these mods and any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Peace,

Hi @throttlejockeyis it a Y61 or Y62 ?

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

14 minutes ago, throttlejockey said:

Hello Frederic,

It's a Y62. 

Ok. Power wise please don’t compare with a Golf GTI 😜. This is a 2500kg boat. Having said that, the Patrol is plenty capable to get you everywhere in the deser but it has a few design flaws. The bumpers are really low and soon you’ll be seeing them coming off during your desert drive. Most of the Y62 members here trim the bumpers to gain extra clearance and avoid them getting completely ripped off. 
Apart from that, join us in a Newbie drive and we’ll teach you to unleash the Patrol power 😜

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @throttlejockey.. adding to what @Frederic said above the fist advise is not to spend any money on the car as of now.. what you have now in its stock state and with the appropriate training and mentorship can take you to the desert almost any where and gradually focus on the things that matter to put your money on starting with a nice shave to the bumpers to improve the approach and departure angles and next would be all terrain tires (when yours are due for replacement).

in the time being, all what you need is a safety flag, a radio, and compressor and you are all set to to join us on your first drive.

5 minutes ago, SamyB said:

@Frederic How to join a newbie drive?

We have weekly Newbie drives that are being posted here on Monday evening 7pm. You can click on the event and then click on “going” which will put you in the RSVP. 

On 3/3/2024 at 7:05 PM, SamyB said:

@Frederic How to join a newbie drive?

https://carnity.com/enthusiast/

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.