Advertise here

Overheating Engine while not moving

Hello everyone, 

I have overheating problems with my 2008 Pajero,3.8V, this mostly happens during stopping on signals or traffic, I replaced water pump, thermostate, radiator and radiator cap, yet it still overheating,  any recommendations how to solve this issue, kilometer 443967 Km.

Is your clutch fan functioning like it's supposed to?

Normally when the engine temperature goes up the fan speed needs to increase to compensate for the lack of natural air flow. 

One easy way to check is when the engine is cold to rotate the fan. If it rotates smoothly, that means the fan needs to be replaced. A good condition clutch fan will have rotational resistance when engine is cold 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Also, the above parts changed were OEM or performance or fake, as fake aftermarket parts will not work much during peak summer heat on high mileage vehicles that have clocked 400+K. 

Check the air circulation in front of grill and move away any modification or obstruction from front grill. Even small obstructions can cause big problems, I faced one very recently, simply by oversight.

Check AC condenser fins aren't bent or dirty, if blocked, get a good pressure wash of AC condenser and radiator, that helps most of the time, as a first step to identify the root cause.

If you are using Mitsubishi 50/50 coolant, you can try 30/70 coolant (it's a special order, almost the same price) but has more water that helps dissipate heat better.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 5/18/2024 at 9:11 PM, Ziad said:

Hello everyone, 

I have overheating problems with my 2008 Pajero,3.8V, this mostly happens during stopping on signals or traffic, I replaced water pump, thermostate, radiator and radiator cap, yet it still overheating,  any recommendations how to solve this issue, kilometer 443967 Km.

I replaced the Fan clutch with original one, but still have the same heating issue, I am thinking to change the radiator again with 3 line one, any recommendation to do that

If you still have the old clutch, you can get it direct by any lathe shop by locking it together with 4 nuts & bolts, so that it runs at 1:1 speed and will prevent overheating when stationary.

Downside: It will be a little noisy, and sip little extra (about 5%) fuel, with little loss of HP (5-10 hp). For road use, you will hardly feel anything. When summer passes by go back new clutch fan after October.

This will be cheapest and sure shot solution, rather than 3 core radiator, because with bigger radiator you need powerful fan to get that extra fluid cool down faster.

The second easy solution is to have an aux 11-12 inch Spal (heavy duty - 4-inch thick motor) fan on the AC condenser, next to AC fan, and wire it to work on demand, when stationery it will help push more air and also cool down your AC temp to 5-7 degree at vent when it's 40+ outside.

P.S. All the above advice applies when the car engine does not have any other issue.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.