Advertise here

I got new brake pads - polishing necessary?

Dear Forum,

After only one year (& 15000KM driving) I needed new brake pads. I got 2 proposals:

The petrol station workshop (the one on backside Sheikh Zayed Rd. - Union Coop - Wellington School) gave me an offer changing all brake pads + polishing of ~ AED 2200.

The Fasttrack Workshop (Emarat Al Ameen Station, Al Wasl Rd.) offered all brake pads for ~ AED 1020 (without polishing as I recognized later only)

I wasn't aware of the 'polishing factor' and chose the cheaper offer. Later I asked the expensive Station for the reason of the high price. They told me about the polishing (extra hours of labour) and they mentioned that it was a big mistake that I didn't do the polishing.

Are they right - was is a mistake to go to Fasttrack and choose the cheaper offer without polishing? Thanks for your opinion!

Sincerely

Massimo

Polishing is only necessary if needed, which usually advised by mechanic. Some prefer and some dont to save time, so its quite grey area for end user to understand which decision is good and bad and why.

Just for peace of mind: Drive to shj industrial area behind shj city center, and get the brake drum polishing done in 200 dhs for all 4. Keep 2-3 hrs in hand. Go and seek any mechanic and ask him to remove the brake drum and sent to Lathe/turning (AKA Makrata in mechanic language). Pay 100 for labor to mechanic to open and fit and max 200 for lathe for polishing.

• 2 weeks later...