Advertise here

Problem with Electricals

Ghassan

Dear Friends,

I have some problems with some electrical issues in my Disco 1 1999 Model as follows:

1. Central Lock is not working

2. Driver's Side Window not moving (Neither up Nor Down)

2. Passengers Side Windows could be slide down from Driver's Control but could not be closed up unless from Passenger control buttons

3. While Off-roading Radio (CD) cuts off from time to time mainly when hitting a dune or a hump...

So any idea what might be the problem and if you know of a good recommended electrician to fix those accordingly.

Thanks.

Gas

Hi Gas, Electrical issues are the most difficult and expensive to fix (IMHO). To start with, first of all lets just spend some time and make sure all relays and fuses are intact and not faulty. Then check for any visible loose cabling overall and make sure to secure them nicely to eliminate many issues.

1. Central Lock is not working

Looks like central lock device is gone bad as per the year of car, its the most easiest fix to get another central lock from 150 dhs onwards from any accessories shops in deira, shj or wherever you like.

2. Driver's Side Window not moving (Neither up Nor Down)

Open the inside the flap by sitting down on floor so that you can see those hidden screws. And then check the connections at the motor. If connections are fine, then try to power it externally to see if motor is bad or the circuit at control switch is bad. Either of two needs some love.

3. Passengers Side Windows could be slide down from Driver's Control but could not be closed up unless from Passenger control buttons

Clear issue of control switch is bad, to add on this why not open the whole window control unit and check the circuits first and then proceed further with indications.

4. While Off-roading Radio (CD) cuts off from time to time mainly when hitting a dune or a hump...

All i can say it has loose connection, probably (not sure though) at the radio power supply, pull it out and see if wires at back is completely secured.

While doing this, its worth checking the connection at battery itself and cleaning its terminal 100% with hot water so that main terminal connection is good.

Also check for earth wire is in place or not, as most of things you mentioned could be because of faulty earth wire or loose battery cable. Good luck and before you spend money make sure you are spending in right direction, not changing kidneys or lever for headache. lol.

Gas, nothing new to add to this apart from the bits about the CD player - it's the laser that is turned off when you jolt the car, it'll do the same on road if you bump a kerb! Try using an MP3 player.

I had some probs with the regulators/motors on the windows in my Freelander and played about trying to fix - it worked out cheaper just to replace as the parts were all comparatively cheap.

Take it easy

Thanks for the valuable recommendations . For windows I think the problem is from the main control panel as previously my side window used to work and now got stopped yet my passenger side window had stopped for a while and then back to life alone... LOL !

Will look at those !

I knw lot have been said, just out of curiosity have a closer look in engine bay, near exhaust manifold. No wiring loom shud touch those hot hot manifold.

My friend had weirdo issue of AC and interior lights getting cut off on r/a and later figure out that wiring loom was half burnt as it was touching the manifold on round about.

Thank you guys , the window issue was sorted out and it was from main control panel wiring !!! but the electrician had switched the rear window control to the upper side of the panel and front driver window to down side of the panel LOL!!! Bit confusing so but will survive with it now. Yet to fix the central lock. Please advise if you can open the Petrol lid from inside the car without taking your key physically to open it, even though I like it this way as I feel , I am feeding my ride!!!