COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Bab al Shams Loop - Dubai - 4 Sep 2020

Ale Vallecchi

This was my first Fewbie drive and the first time I have driven Bab al Shams. The briefing we got before attempting the criss-crossing of dunes was very helpful. It didn't, however, prepare me for how it feels when the vehicle crosses over after riding the crest and that moment of wondering if you're going to flip. It took me a while to figure out what was normal action and how my Pajero responded. This was probably the most technical drive I have done, and I'm still finding it difficult to get height on those sideys and bowls with my Pajero. I find even when I'm dropping down to 1st she feels really heavy and sluggish and I'm not reaching the height of other drivers.

I came out of that first bowl thinking I was going straight over a dune only to come out too fast and have to take a sharp right to avoid going over into the unknown off track. I managed to bend the front tow hook towards the front bumper here and I think this is where my rear bumper turned sand scoop and tried to liberate itself from the body of my vehicle. I went around a few shops today looking for someone to fabricate a fix (link to forum topic below) but being in RAK I'm blazing a trail on my own atm with most forum recommendations centering around Dubai and a mention for Ajman. Hopefully I can get the modifications done before the next weekend's drive.

As usual I'm learning something new each week and this drive was eventful with wildlife rescue attempts and poor @Islam Soliman having a stroke of bad luck with those airbags - thanks for your feedback on my dune crossings btw - always helpful to have someone else's perspective on what I'm doing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Lisa Pemberton said:

This was my first Fewbie drive and the first time I have driven Bab al Shams. The briefing we got before attempting the criss-crossing of dunes was very helpful. It didn't, however, prepare me for how it feels when the vehicle crosses over after riding the crest and that moment of wondering if you're going to flip. It took me a while to figure out what was normal action and how my Pajero responded. This was probably the most technical drive I have done, and I'm still finding it difficult to get height on those sideys and bowls with my Pajero. I find even when I'm dropping down to 1st she feels really heavy and sluggish and I'm not reaching the height of other drivers.

I came out of that first bowl thinking I was going straight over a dune only to come out too fast and have to take a sharp right to avoid going over into the unknown off track. I managed to bend the front tow hook towards the front bumper here and I think this is where my rear bumper turned sand scoop and tried to liberate itself from the body of my vehicle. I went around a few shops today looking for someone to fabricate a fix (link to forum topic below) but being in RAK I'm blazing a trail on my own atm with most forum recommendations centering around Dubai and a mention for Ajman. Hopefully I can get the modifications done before the next weekend's drive.

As usual I'm learning something new each week and this drive was eventful with wildlife rescue attempts and poor @Islam Soliman having a stroke of bad luck with those airbags - thanks for your feedback on my dune crossings btw - always helpful to have someone else's perspective on what I'm doing.

@Lisa Pemberton you did very well for your first Fewbie drive. Seeing you from my viewpoint you did not show any hesitation in any of the dune crossing phases (approach, ridge riding and exit) also looking in control of the descent from the ridge. In any case, I know the feeling of uncertainty you describe, and will make sure I mention it, and how to deal with it, in my next briefings. 

You will also learn to deal with Pajero's characteristics quickly (each drive will bring new feelings and information), and will adopt the driving style which suites the combination of your car's full potential on each given terrain. I advise you to ask questions to other more experienced Pajero drivers (ex. Gaurav, Fred, Vanessa, Mels) who have already successfully faced all your same difficulties.

Thanks for sharing your feelings, and for joining the drive. Hope to see you soon again. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you for your feedback @Ale Vallecchi it's very much appreciated :). It's a real shame these restrictions don't allow us to gather afterwards as I'm sure the post drive conversations help us analyse what we are doing and how we can improve. Looking forward to learning off the other drivers you mentioned 😀

Edited by Lisa Pemberton
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use