•  
Advertise here

255cm of clearance on the X-Terra

Looper

With 255 cm of clearance I am sure new 2021 X-terra can clear any dunes on any desert or will it? 

2021-01-10.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

@Goutam unfortunately its not all about height and ground clearance. I have recently seen a brand new Xterra in Bur Dubai area and it definitely looks modern and might even have all the necessary gadgets on board. But with time and due to some safety regulations coming in and Nissan trying to fulfil those conditions to keep running their vehicles on the road the attention has some what shifted from its earlier version of a rugged off-road vehicle. The low bumper overhangs and many other factors will also be taken into consideration. I for one have always been proven wrong by the likes of @Brette with his JGC or with @Lorenzo Candelpergher with his Y62, but we cannot be sure of it's true capabilities until we see it in the sands for ourselves. Our expert with the figures about ride height and clearance angles @Frederic can share his point of view on this and of course @Gaurav bhai who has driven almost every beast in this world and settled for his capable Pajero and its quirks can shed more light.

• Like (+1) 5

54 minutes ago, Goutam said:

With 255 cm of clearance I am sure new 2021 X-terra can clear any dunes on any desert or will it? 

2021-01-10.png

It should be 255 mm I suppose. 255 cm is even higher than a bull dozer may be 🤣.

New x terra main draw back supposedly has been the non availability of a V6 engine option. Probably will perform similar to a V4 fortuner once one is seen on sands 😔

• Totally Agree (+2) 4

Hahahah 255cm, you can indeed clear any dune 😆. It will indeed be millimeter of course. 
The 32 degrees approach angle is not that bad. The previous model Xterra had 33 degrees. 
If it performs like the 2.7 Fortuner in the desert consider yourself very very lucky. These cars, though underpowered, are not to be underestimated at all. 
160hp for 1800kg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Agree the previous model had almost similar approach angles, but the black bumper especially on the sides in older model ,where it is not covered by bash plate is super malleable.  Even if it hits something it kind of bends and snaps back in shape - blessing in disguise.

Not sure if it's the same with new one which looks painted 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Goutam also wanted to add that there are different ways to clear a dune, I have a friend driving a lifted Armada and given its size he takes his own angles which involve longer turns to avoid sharp crests when following for example a Wrangler which has a shorter wheel base in comparison. But the 5.6L V8 helps for sure.

In my opinion the new Xterra is under-powered and ill be surprised if it makes it to the top of Iftar Bowl . 😅

• Like (+1) 3

So basically Nissan now wants "NEW" Xterra owner to really work hard on off-road skills than just push and go.

165 hp over 2 ton = 82.5 hp/ton super underpowered for sand (at least).

But still Nissan marketing wants to highlight it as an offroad vehicle.

xterra.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Very strange this 2.5 engine, if you google around you'll find ratings of 165 hp up to 190hp. Maybe this depends on the market and emission rules. But if you look at the 0-100kmh of 8.4 seconds that is pretty nippy. Maybe because of the 7 speed gearbox, or lighter weight materials...

@Vanessa8580 told me last week that @Jon M took his Montero Sport 3.0 on Faya from the front. Another mystery thing to me, as i don't underestimate these cars at all, but it defies most logic we apply here. Maybe the 8-speed gearbox allows to keep the car at its max torque during the climb...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Very strange this 2.5 engine, if you google around you'll find ratings of 165 hp up to 190hp. Maybe this depends on the market and emission rules. But if you look at the 0-100kmh of 8.4 seconds that is pretty nippy. Maybe because of the 7 speed gearbox, or lighter weight materials...

Vanessa told me last week that @Jon M took his Montero Sport 3.0 on Faya from the front. Another mystery thing to me, as i don't underestimate these cars at all, but it defies most logic we apply here.

Finally as you taught us, it has a lot to do with the drivers driving skill... 👍

1 minute ago, Abdul Rahman Abdul Kader said:

Finally as you taught us, it has a lot to do with the drivers driving skill... 👍

example @Vanessa8580 could so so much with her Pajero that we as beginners can only dream of with the same vehicle in our hand @Danish Mohammad 😂

Edited by Abdul Rahman Abdul Kader
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Monetro has 215 hp on 2 ton = 107.5 hp/ton is a not bad of an off-road vehicle it's just that we have not seen many Montero owners pushing 6k rpm at 1st gear for long hill climb and leave the gas in between.

I rem driving Angela Montero once on sideys and it matched my Pajero height very well.

Back to OP 82 vs 107 is a big notable difference.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.