•  
Advertise here

Sidewall puncture & Tubed tyre.

Rizwanm2

recently had a puncture in one of my tyre. it was very small metal string pocked trough sidewall.  couldn't find any visual damage from outside of the tyre it was only visible from inside after removing the tyre, there was small metal string poking through sidewall. 

as per tyre shop its not possible to fix a sidewall puncture, But he gave me a solution to run tyre with tube, but when i mentioned that im off roading then he said it is not recommended. 

i changed these tyres just about 2 month back and there is not even 5000km on them. so can i use it for spare tyre with a tube. 

What is the opinion of our experts. is there any useful life left on this or its total garbage.  

By the way tyre is Yokohoma Geolander AT G015    size - 275/70/R16

Edited by Rizwanm2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Yes you can put tube tire as spare until you source the new replacement.

Tube tire will also work for offroading but just enough to let you exit from the drive in case you have another tire issue. You cant deflate tube tire so low as we do to normal AT tires and that's why tire shop was reluctant. But you can safely deflate to 20 psi just enough to let you exit.

Many farm guys run pickup with tube tires to extract the last juice of tire life, but they mainly drive on track and not below 20 psi.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On second thought, please share the picture of the sidewall puncture. If it's less than quarter of an inch or just a hole, my above suggestions can work. If it's a big slit then no.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I know that tires are not cheap, but life is more expensive. The tires are the link between the car and the road, and I don't spare on safety issues.  If I were you I would dispose of that tire and get a new one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Hi @Rizwanm2

While I agree with Gaurav for the temporary solution as spare tube tyre if the puncture is so minor and not a slit , I totally agree with Alex as for final peace of mind.

I got an incident similar but for my JGC and without hesitation I replaced immediately and it didn’t run 1000 km , I got some solutions but as since I got my X , it’s been driven mainly by my wife ( family ) I preferred the expensive headache free solution.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thank you @Gaurav, @Alexander Alcala, @Mohamed Seidam for the advices. 

Even im not comfortable with driving with a tube tyre.  I have heard enough horror stories of tyre failure so better to be safe than sorry. 

currently Juma al majid (dealer) does not have stock, so waiting for new stock to arrive in couple of days. 

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

On second thought, please share the picture of the sidewall puncture. If it's less than quarter of an inch or just a hole, my above suggestions can work. If it's a big slit then no.

Sorry @Gaurav i forgot to take a photo.  it was very small and sharp metal about 0.5mm in diameter. 

any way even my current spare is tubeless, its old but good working condition. so damaged tyre is no use will scrap it. 

Edited by Rizwanm2

39 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

currently Juma al majid (dealer) does not have stock, so waiting for new stock to arrive in couple of days. 

Go to Sharjah tire market after Sahara center and you will get it within an hour.

I had a puncture on Friday morning and in evening I replaced all 4 tires from the same market, where as all online option showing no stock or wait for few days.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Go to Sharjah tire market after Sahara center and you will get it within an hour.

I had a puncture on Friday morning and in evening I replaced all 4 tires from the same market, where as all online option showing no stock or wait for few days.

Thanks @Gaurav

Will try that on weekend. 

Important Information

Terms of use