Advertise here

Dash Cam Advice/Recommendations

Niki

Hi 

Does any member have experience and recommendations for a Dash Cam.  I am looking into option for the daily driver, providing a front and rear recording.  Currently lost in the Amazon.ae options and would value any real world experiences and recommendations 

thanks 

• Like (+1) 1

I will suggest mai70 dash cam. I have it in my car and I use it for making the driving videos as well. In the newer versions you can remove the mai70 watermark from the settings. Records at 2.7k and you can use that aspect to crop the video. It can record in intervals of 1 min, 3 min etc.

there is an option for a GPS module which is used to track speed and for lane departure warning and to warn that the car I front has moved. I don’t use it at all, so you can save some bucks not ordering it.

You have to login using the Mi account but it has its own app and manage the settings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

Many thanks @Goutam.  I am actually looking for the family car (not Offroad.. however now you have me thinking about both 😱🤣😳

let me look up the Mai dashcam.  I wanted one that would have a very wide recording angle and offer battery saving (prevent discharge) and accident detection so would trigger a recording if it noticed a potential accident) .. had an incident before ramadan with Valet parking and a few close calls recently so thinking it’s about time. 

• Like (+1) 2

Mai 70 has inbuilt battery and records while parked. I have connected it to the cigarette lighter so it records for sometime before switching off, but if it connected to the mains then it will continue to record. 
I should have said I use the footage for the videos but it is a normal dash can only. it has good night recording capabilities.

See some online reviews on it before you decide. If you want to test I have a spare one as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Goutam said:

Mai 70 has inbuilt battery and records while parked. I have connected it to the cigarette lighter so it records for sometime before switching off, but if it connected to the mains then it will continue to record. 
I should have said I use the footage for the videos but it is a normal dash can only. it has good night recording capabilities.

See some online reviews on it before you decide. If you want to test I have a spare one as well. 

Many thanks again @Goutam!! Went straight to amazon and it seems a great fit! They have the hard wired kit as mentioned and ticks all the boxes!  Will try and find the combination with front and back recording… thank you again!  Super helpful knowing a real world experience!  Also really kind of you offer to loan the spare unit! I will not need to take you up on that offer but it’s hugely appreciated 

• Like (+1) 2

In case you want to store the drive videos, You may keep a few 64 GB memory cards in the car. I have numbered mine and change them after every drive. Few because I don’t have to rush to backup after every drive. 64 GB because that is the recommended capacity.

I remove the power cable to the device and put it back after I changed the memory card because when I remove the card, the device switches itself off.

I have recordings of all my drives safely stored in my NAS, and edited a few to put on YouTube. I am too lazy to do for all. It will be a summer project perhaps, when I have nothing else to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Goutam said:

In case you want to store the drive videos, You may keep a few 64 GB memory cards in the car. I have numbered mine and change them after every drive. Few because I don’t have to rush to backup after every drive. 64 GB because that is the recommended capacity.

I remove the power cable to the device and put it back after I changed the memory card because when I remove the card, the device switches itself off.

I have recordings of all my drives safely stored in my NAS, and edited a few to put on YouTube. I am too lazy to do for all. It will be a summer project perhaps, when I have nothing else to do.

Hi can you please share some video clips from your dash cam. im also interested. 🙏

And a few more. In my newest project I’ll be putting GPS overlay. 

Edited by Goutam
  • Like (+1) 1