Afternoon Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - DCT: Hunt for the Red Waypoints - Razeen - Abu Dhabi - 15 Dec 2023

Ale Vallecchi

58 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Looking fwd to it Ale, just don't go close to the no-go zone, where the fence sucked my car and we wasted so much time.

Exactly @Gaurav. I was looking at our recce's track, and we drove for 3 hours (and 4 minutes), so definitely we could reach most of (if not all) the waypoints in 3 and half hours, if we plan the right track and stay away from that fenced in no-go area. Let's be optimistic and accept the challenge. 🏁

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Hi Ale, was wandering where the "planned" exit point would be. I am planning to do the Saturday Liwa drive, and was thinking about driving time from the exit to the camp site.

Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ashutosh Garg said:

Hi Ale, was wandering where the "planned" exit point would be. I am planning to do the Saturday Liwa drive, and was thinking about driving time from the exit to the camp site.

Thanks

Hi @Ashutosh Garg. We'll exit not far from the entry point (along the same tarmac road). 

Apologies @Ale Vallecchi, I’ve just come down with a flu and debilitating symptoms. As such, I think it would be unwise to take on this trip. I was much looking forward to a classic operatic Ale drive, but alas my body has other plans. Will be back soon.

Good luck with the hunt 🐵

• Sad (0) 1

42 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

Apologies @Ale Vallecchi, I’ve just come down with a flu and debilitating symptoms. As such, I think it would be unwise to take on this trip. I was much looking forward to a classic operatic Ale drive, but alas my body has other plans. Will be back soon.

Good luck with the hunt 🐵

Sorry to hear that @munkybizness. I was looking forward to driving with you. Take care (and if you'll feel better you are free to rejoin). 

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Hi @Ashutosh Garg. We'll exit not far from the entry point (along the same tarmac road). 

Thanks Ale, have joined the drive.

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Desertnauts,

get ready to follow in the tracks of the DCT Champions, chasing after the most valuable "Red Waypoints" of last month's challenge. 

The meeting and deflation point is quite far if coming from Dubai. It'll be on the left of the Razeen Road, which you will take off of the E30. Keep in mind to refuel with a full tank at the last available gas stations, which are the ADNOC Station Razeen #128 on E30, or ADNOC Station Al Faya #891 on the E22, both in the Al Khatim area. To reach the actual meeting point along Razeen Rd. you do not have to follow the Google Maps directions all the way to the roundabout of Al Quaa Rd. but can cross the tarmac the moment you see the meeting point marked on the left of the tarmac. Consider at least 2 hours from Dubai to arrive at the starting point.

Kindly arrive a little earlier then 2:30, so that we may depart as soon as possible. The drive plan will hopefully take 3 hours and a half, from entry to exit (If all goes well).

We do not plan to stop for breaks (if possible), so please make sure you carry all the water and refreshments you need on board with you.

The convoy order at the moment is the following:

@Sunil Mathew in Second Lead

@Alex T at #3

@Mohit Gurnani at #4

@Cristian at #5 and 

@Ashutosh Garg in Sweep.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Desertnauts. 

A few quick facts about yesterday's drive.

Waypoints reached: 7; Waypoints conquered: 6. Time to Waypoint #7's area: 2 hours 25 min. Stoppage time to Waypoint #7's area: 30 min, due to repairs of a faulty air intake on one of the cars; Moving speed to Waypoint #7: 29 Km/h; Reason for not reaching Waypoint #7: multiple stucks in soft bowl while approaching the waypoint (just before nightfall).

Takeaways: 1) always have your car checked and serviced before drives in such remote and isolated areas; 2) plan such potentially long drives in the morning, to avoid the constraint of the impending nightfall.

Conclusion: will reattempt on a morning drive, planning to reach all 10 Red Waypoints within max 4 hour of driving (the planned 3 hours was too tight, considering the distance between Waypoint #7 and the remaining 3 ones, while avoiding the No Go Area, is indeed enormous).

Well driven @Sunil Mathew (great Second Lead) @Alex T (just remember please not to pass the car in front during a refusal or stuck), @Cristian (as above), and @Ashutosh Garg (I hope you managed to get your car fixed). 

Thanks to all and see you soon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use