Advertise here

Shift, Gear and RPM Combination in the Desert

Hello Guys,

I drive in the desert only twice with my pajero 2013 LWB 3.5L and i am not satisfied with my ability and performance.

And I believe 75% on the driver and 25% only on the car.

The scenario is I will bring my family in the desert in a newbee convoy, so we are 4 in the car;

a. What is the best tire pressure front and rear?

b. Which Transfer shift lever position I need to use, 4H, 4HLc or 4LLc?

c. Which gear is best 2nd or 1st gear or all-time D?

d. Which range of acceleration is best?

Thanks and regards,

Ericson

• 2 weeks later...

a. What is the best tire pressure front and rear?

15 PSI all around is good, if you really stuck then defalte to 12 PSI for self recovery. If you continue drive at 12 psi, then make sure dont take high speed turn or else tire will pop out.

b. Which Transfer shift lever position I need to use, 4H, 4HLc or 4LLc?

Plain beach sand: 4H, decent desert drive: 4HLc is good, if you stuck or need to tow someone: 4LLc

c. Which gear is best 2nd or 1st gear or all-time D?

D is all time good for drive, if stuck or in deep sand you can drive at 2nd gear or even in 1st gear. If you drive manual then make sure you keep switching gears often to not to strain any one specif gear.

d. Which range of acceleration is best?

High range is advisable, Lo range only for self recovery, towing, or making impossible climbs.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a saying for off road driving: "Go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary"

I think, drivers try to compensate the lack of power and the disadvantages of LWB by speeding on the dunes. Speed is dangerous in the desert. It gives you no time to assess the terrain and you may break your car.

I deflate to 10 psi and avoid sharp turns. As soon as I hit the sand I switch to low gear with the diff locked. I drive by using power rather than high speed.

If your diff is not locked you are prone to get stuck and the diff lock may not engage when you need it.

In the rare case when I got stuck with low gear and diff lock, I lift the wheels and put a plank under them, and drive out of the trouble.

I am talking about medium to difficult dunes, not an easy family trip with a 20 cars convoy.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2013 at 0:10 AM, MrTwister said:

There is a saying for off road driving: "Go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary"

I think, drivers try to compensate the lack of power and the disadvantages of LWB by speeding on the dunes. Speed is dangerous in the desert. It gives you no time to assess the terrain and you may break your car.

I deflate to 10 psi and avoid sharp turns. As soon as I hit the sand I switch to low gear with the diff locked. I drive by using power rather than high speed.

If your diff is not locked you are prone to get stuck and the diff lock may not engage when you need it.

In the rare case when I got stuck with low gear and diff lock, I lift the wheels and put a plank under them, and drive out of the trouble.

I am talking about medium to difficult dunes, not an easy family trip with a 20 cars convoy.

I want to try that!