•  
Advertise here

JKU2015 Questions from a new owner !!

Hi Carnity Members,

I recently bought a JKU2015 satisfying a long term dream of owning one, and to start exploring the desert sands. The car has been sparingly used for the last year by the previous owner , run  54K km and the last service with oil change was in Dec 2019 @45K Km. I have couple of questions, which could be very basic, but i believe the answer should be with this group of experts and long term owners .

Any guidance would be a huge huge help for me, as a new owner. (My other car is a ford explorer 2011)

Questions

1. The previous owner has been using 10W40 oil (Castrol Magnatec) while the owners manual recommendation is 5W20 or 5W30. Should i go with 10W40 or the OEM recommendation? 

2. The previous owner has replaced the stock rims (R16) to R17 and tyres (245/75) to 285/70. This is causing the tyre to rub against a bar/some kind of link rod upon full right steering turns. Is this something serious which can be managed by taking care during the hard right turns OR should i replace the tyres ASAP ? The tyres are DOT 3618

3. I am looking for a workshop who can do a decent job to install an android screen/head unit, someone who really knows what he is doing. Any recommendations would be really helpful.

As this is my first post, a word of introduction here. My name  - Sunil Mathew, Stay - Al Nahda SHJ, Field of Work - Ship-Building & Repairs

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @ARAGON, welcome to Carnity.

Although I'm not very technically sound and @Barry and @Gaurav can advise you better, but I'll take my chances.

1. You can shift to OEM oil as recommended by Jeep, 5W30 should be better for summers.

2. If you're having rubbing issues it's better to downsize the tires, unless you're thinking about getting a proper lift kit done.

3. @Foxtrot Oscar fitted an awesome Sony head unit, maybe she can guide you properly, although @Gaurav and @Frederic have a good ear for music and can also help you out.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, it's a good idea to go-to the oil grade specified by the manufacturer and also try to stick to a good brand of oil. 

Regarding the tyre size, unless it's a major rubbing issue I would suggest to stick to this tyre size. Your current tyre (in pic Tyre 2) will have a better footprint (under deflated condition) than the stock tyres (in pic Tyre 1). The only compromise might be the additional weight of the tyre, but that also depends on the brand of the tyre. BFG and Cooper would be heavy. Geolandars AT would be lighter.

SmartSelect_20210331-202858_Chrome.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Thank you very much @Rahimdad, @Srikumarand @Foxtrot Oscar for your valuable inputs and advices.

I have changed the oil to 5W30 now.

The tyres  -  taking cue from @Rahimdad and @Srikumar  i will keep under observation for some time decide later

Planning to join the next absolute newbie ride. (not the one tomorrow)

Will get in touch for the head unit ..thanks @Foxtrot Oscar

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ARAGON said:

Thank you very much @Rahimdad, @Srikumarand @Foxtrot Oscar for your valuable inputs and advices.

I have changed the oil to 5W30 now.

The tyres  -  taking cue from @Rahimdad and @Srikumar  i will keep under observation for some time decide later

Planning to join the next absolute newbie ride. (not the one tomorrow)

Will get in touch for the head unit ..thanks @Foxtrot Oscar

Buy it from Amazon or wherever and get them to install it. Although they sell all the popular ones so perhaps could give advice on the best set up for you 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Buy it from Amazon or wherever and get them to install it. Although they sell all the popular ones so perhaps could give advice on the best set up for you 

@ARAGON my tip is pls AVOID the cheap Chinese brand head units and stick with either recommended or established brands.  

The Chinese head units are very tempting as offer huge screens but suffer from poor quality mics, audio/processing and amp performance.

• Like (+1) 2

To stay completely unbiased to safeguard every Carnity member interest, we have restricted brand promotions and sharing of car business details here.

As in past, many car businesses have motivated Carnity members to promote their brand and products by flooding meaningful discussions.

Hence we have decided to stay focused on practical, relevant, and unbiased solutions, rather than the solution providers. 

Thank you for your understanding.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.