Private drive incident

Sorry @Lorenzo Candelpergher. I have excuse from the drive as my car differential is damaged and is lying at iftar bowl. 

• Sad (0) 6

11 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Sorry @Lorenzo Candelpergher. I have excuse from the drive as my car differential is damaged and is lying at iftar bowl. 

What happened ?

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

13 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Hope all is well!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Dear @Thomas Varghese, sorry to hear the news. What happened? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

The differential broke.

• Sad (0) 6

15 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

It was a very uneventful day. 1st the differential hit some rock and broke in the middle of no where. I had gone for a short drive inside the desert to check out the car before your fast and furious drive. We were playing in iftar bowl and doing the climbs. I think the differential hit a rock while coming down in one attempt and the front wheels locked up. Me and my friends tried to figure out a way to get the car out of iftar bowl somehow but as you know we are not mechanics and we don't have all the tools. Finally my mechanic agreed to come from Ajman with all the tools as I was reluctant to leave the car inside the desert for a day or two. He arrived by 11.30 pm and in half an hour he disconnected the drive shaft towards the front differential from the transfer case and one of the axels to immobilize the broken differential. Once it was all done then it was superb display of tugging the car out with a Y 61 by a friend as my car was struggling to find its power on 2H in the dark. Back on the tarmac by 2am and all re inflated we returned back home by saying good bye to each other. I really appreciate the friends who stood with me from the beginning to the end. Well the misfortune didn't end there. The mechanic in his sleepy mode forgot to tighten the left front wheel after removing the axle and off it came while driving back home. Luckily the entire wheel didn't fall off and we didn't topple as speed was less. After borrowing a wheel nut from each wheel and putting the runaway wheel back we continued and reached home by 5am. It was a very uneventful day. Waiting for a front differential to arrive on Saturday to be fixed so that I can continue my adventure's with @Carnity. The silver lining of all this was my friends who stood with me during all this ordeal and left me only after getting the car on to tarmac. Be wary about the rocks lying at the bottom of iftar bowl. Thanks @Frederic for the timely advice to remove the axle which initiated the whole process and finally got us out from an impossible place.

Note: My new lights are awesome and light up the desert. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 5
  • WOW (+2) 6

1 hour ago, Thomas Varghese said:

It was a very uneventful day. 1st the differential hit some rock and broke in the middle of no where. I had gone for a short drive inside the desert to check out the car before your fast and furious drive. We were playing in iftar bowl and doing the climbs. I think the differential hit a rock while coming down in one attempt and the front wheels locked up. Me and my friends tried to figure out a way to get the car out of iftar bowl somehow but as you know we are not mechanics and we don't have all the tools. Finally my mechanic agreed to come from Ajman with all the tools as I was reluctant to leave the car inside the desert for a day or two. He arrived by 11.30 pm and in half an hour he disconnected the drive shaft towards the front differential from the transfer case and one of the axels to immobilize the broken differential. Once it was all done then it was superb display of tugging the car out with a Y 61 by a friend as my car was struggling to find its power on 2H in the dark. Back on the tarmac by 2am and all re inflated we returned back home by saying good bye to each other. I really appreciate the friends who stood with me from the beginning to the end. Well the misfortune didn't end there. The mechanic in his sleepy mode forgot to tighten the left front wheel after removing the axle and off it came while driving back home. Luckily the entire wheel didn't fall off and we didn't topple as speed was less. After borrowing a wheel nut from each wheel and putting the runaway wheel back we continued and reached home by 5am. It was a very uneventful day. Waiting for a front differential to arrive on Saturday to be fixed so that I can continue my adventure's with @Carnity. The silver lining of all this was my friends who stood with me during all this ordeal and left me only after getting the car on to tarmac. Be wary about the rocks lying at the bottom of iftar bowl. Thanks @Frederic for the timely advice to remove the axle which initiated the whole process and finally got us out from an impossible place.

Note: My new lights are awesome and light up the desert. 

@GauravSoni  you are one of that one of a kind friend who stood like a rock and @Shaaz Sha

• Like (+1) 6

Dear @Frederic the wow part of this experience is there is no terrain unconquerable when you have like minded friends who stand with you come what may. That's the moral of this experience. I was not stressed or worried when my car broke down. I knew I could count on my friends for the needful. We didn't do anything stupid and we all came out unharmed. I have to thank all you marshals and the absolute newbie briefing @Carnity for this. 

• Like (+1) 5

Sorry to hear that @Thomas Varghese hope your car get well soon.

Btw, just curious, were you leading this private drive?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use