•  
Advertise here

Pajero: Novice Questions

Hi folks,

I am new to off-roading and looking forward to joining the club’s off road outings.  I drive a 2017 Pajero 3.5 LWB and want to purchase required and recommended gear to get started.  Welcome comments from the experts.   Please feel free to link to other posts if  it’s easier. Much appreciated.  

- Tow Hooks: Do the stock front/rear tow hooks on the Pajero meet the mandatory requirements for Carnity’s off-road events? 

- Flag: What model works best for the Pajero and where should I buy it? 

- Securing Gear: How should I secure the large loose objects inside the cabin during off-road drives?  I’m specifically focused on securing the following items: air compressor, shovel, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, water/food, and handheld radio.  

- Modifications: For newbie and fewbie rides, do you recommend any modifications to the Pajero?  How about fixing the rear bumper “sand scoop” issue that I’ve read about in these forums?  

- Tow Hitch: I am contemplating installing a tow hitch (2 inch receiver) to haul some bikes around. It would be great to buy one the won’t interfere (much) with departure angle and could help with the rear bumper “sand scoop” issue.  What toe hitch do you recommend and where do you recommend having it installed? 

I welcome any other advice you wish to pass down.  I’m already studying the various “advice” and forum posts to figure things out. 

Thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ali Shah said:

Hi folks,

I am new to off-roading and looking forward to joining the club’s off road outings.  I drive a 2017 Pajero 3.5 LWB and want to purchase required and recommended gear to get started.  Welcome comments from the experts.   Please feel free to link to other posts if  it’s easier. Much appreciated.  

- Tow Hooks: Do the stock front/rear tow hooks on the Pajero meet the mandatory requirements for Carnity’s off-road events? 

- Flag: What model works best for the Pajero and where should I buy it? 

- Securing Gear: How should I secure the large loose objects inside the cabin during off-road drives?  I’m specifically focused on securing the following items: air compressor, shovel, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, water/food, and handheld radio.  

- Modifications: For newbie and fewbie rides, do you recommend any modifications to the Pajero?  How about fixing the rear bumper “sand scoop” issue that I’ve read about in these forums?  

- Tow Hitch: I am contemplating installing a tow hitch (2 inch receiver) to haul some bikes around. It would be great to buy one the won’t interfere (much) with departure angle and could help with the rear bumper “sand scoop” issue.  What toe hitch do you recommend and where do you recommend having it installed? 

I welcome any other advice you wish to pass down.  I’m already studying the various “advice” and forum posts to figure things out. 

Thanks.  

Hi @Ali Shah welcome to Carnity ! Let me give you my two cents as Pajero owner :) 

1) Tow hooks. The stock ones are totally fine and we've never seen issues with them as they are sturdy.

2) Flag. Any model works fine. Plenty options in Dragon Mart or offroad shops. Some people go for the suction cup, others get a bracket made that mounts on the rear spare wheel (this is the better option). Most offroad shops sell or fabricate these brackets and flags.

3) Securing gear: good question. Most of us are using the spider net to secure the items properly. Personally i also have a big black ABS plastic box that fits in the back and holds most of my gear.

4) Modifications: Yes i would definitely recommend the rear skidplate as the Pajero scoops up the sand in the back and after some drives it will bend the rear bumper. While you are at it get yourself a front bashplate as well to protect your front bumper a bit more. Most Pajero owners also trim the front bumper a bit further to get some extra clearance. Offroad shops will sell you the decent aluminum front and rear protection for about 1200-1400dhs installation included.

5) Tow hitch is a good option and will give you some extra protection at the back, but you will still need the rear protection and the tow hitch only covers the center portion of the rear bumper. There are several brands, perhaps check with Habtoor as they must be selling this as an add-on for any Pajero customers.

Additional:

We have seen quite a few Pajero owners with overheating transmission oil issue. Seems to be on the later models (2013 onwards) that they have lowered the limit which makes the alarm trigger sooner. For many of us it helps with the LWB to drive in tiptronic and trying to stay in the same gear (in D the car is often upshifting and downshifting which leads to overheating eventually). Other solutions are an extra fan in front of the transmission cooler, or even a bigger transmission cooler itself. Now it is wintertime and overheating should not be occurring but i just wanted to add it as potential improvement points.

Take it easy and learn the basics on your first couple of drives. Talk to some of our other Pajero owners like @Mehmet Volga

@AnishS @Daniel Rodas @Yousef Alimadadi and many others who can share their experience and tips.

See you soon in the sand !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I'd absolutelly recommend using the manual shift, for the reasons above, and having better control, and at the end is a lot more fun. It may take a drive or two to get the feel, but after that there is not going back to D.

I did the 2in lift, but many others didn't, personal preference i guess, maybe try it stock and decide later. With the lift I got 40mm spaces each side, more so to keep stability in check. Runs perfectly.

Cheers!

Edited by Daniel Rodas
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Nothing much to add above except securing gear. I am using the pocket for the back seat which is located underneath the trunk. That is good enough to secure compressor, lift jack, rope and even a small shovel. I am keeping the seat out of the pocket as folded and using spider net around it to secure flag pole and water spray only. With this way, you can still use your trunk for regular stuff and off-road gear remains invisible under the seat

Hi @Frederic. Thank you for the very detailed info.  If you don’t mind, I wanted to ask you some follow up questions:

- Flag: I bought a flag pole and suction cup mount from DM. Is it better to mount this on the window or roof of the Pajero?  Also, where can I find a cool flag (the one that came with the pole is generic)? 

- Modifications: For the front/rear underbody protection, are there any shops in Abu Dhabi (preferred) or Dubai you recommend? 

Hi @Daniel Rodas.  Thank you and @Frederic for the tip about using manual mode to avoid overheating the transmission.  Is there an indicator light for an overheated transmission? 

Hi @Mehmet Volga thank you for the info about storing your gear.  I wish I would have asked you this questions earlier, as it would have save me the trouble of removing the 3rd row seat from the Pajero (the process is easy, but carrying it  out my condo was a workout!  So now I have the empty pocket that you mentioned for use with storage. I have a question if you don’t mind: 

- Spider Net: Do you have any recommendation for a store that sells these (and what size to get)?  

I “might” have more questions for you Pros in the future, so thanks in advance for the help.  

I hope to see you all on the trail soon!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ali Shah said:

- Spider Net: Do you have any recommendation for a store that sells these (and what size to get)?  

You can find many at ACE... 90-100 cm is enough. You can buy even longer as they are adjustable by using different hooks

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ali Shah said:

Hi @Frederic. Thank you for the very detailed info.  If you don’t mind, I wanted to ask you some follow up questions:

- Flag: I bought a flag pole and suction cup mount from DM. Is it better to mount this on the window or roof of the Pajero?  Also, where can I find a cool flag (the one that came with the pole is generic)? 

- Modifications: For the front/rear underbody protection, are there any shops in Abu Dhabi (preferred) or Dubai you recommend? 

Hi @Daniel Rodas.  Thank you and @Frederic for the tip about using manual mode to avoid overheating the transmission.  Is there an indicator light for an overheated transmission? 

Hi @Mehmet Volga thank you for the info about storing your gear.  I wish I would have asked you this questions earlier, as it would have save me the trouble of removing the 3rd row seat from the Pajero (the process is easy, but carrying it  out my condo was a workout!  So now I have the empty pocket that you mentioned for use with storage. I have a question if you don’t mind: 

I “might” have more questions for you Pros in the future, so thanks in advance for the help.  

I hope to see you all on the trail soon!

Hi @Ali Shah

With regards to the flag, if it is a suction cup you can experiment with both to see what works best for your. Most of us have a "generic" flag, you can perhaps check on Amazon for something more creative, as long as its not anything disturbing. Avoid huge flags as they will break the flag pole.

With regards to modifications we do not share or advertise shops here on the forum as we choose to remain unbiased. If you google or ask around on the upcoming drives to people with these underbody protections, you are free to ask them where they got it. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

14 hours ago, Ali Shah said:

Flag: I bought a flag pole and suction cup mount from DM. Is it better to mount this on the window or roof of the Pajero?

The rear left or right fixed glass sections will give you a good surface to mount the suction cup on. The rear glass may rub against and obstruct with the roof spoiler if you have one.

For mounting the flag, please use a spanner to tighten the bolts into the suction cup. Having done it with my bare hands, you will run the risk of the threads wearing out sooner. Furthermore, a pair of washers and some WD-40 will also keep the joint well-serviced over time.

• Like (+1) 2