•  
Advertise here

FJ Cruiser Recovery Points & Tow Hitch

Hi everyone, I am wondering whether to install a tow hitch on my FJ for recovery purposes.

There seems to be a fairly strong loop on the back left already that is attached with 2 bolts. From what I read in numerous places online, opinions seem to differ greatly on this topic.

In the club's experience with recoveries, is that stock back loop more than enough for FJ recoveries or would it make sense to get a hitch receiver with a good recovery hitch that takes soft shackles? Or is this a "nice to have" but not "must have" upgrade?

Also, regarding the front 2 points, they seem plenty strong and welded in numerous places to the frame - here it definitely doesn't make sense to add extra recovery points (which in my opinion would probably be weaker than the factory loops), correct?

Thank you!

Edited by Patrick
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Hi everyone, I am wondering whether to install a tow hitch on my FJ for recovery purposes.

There seems to be a fairly strong loop on the back left already that is attached with 2 bolts. From what I read in numerous places online, opinions seem to differ greatly on this topic.

In the club's experience with recoveries, is that stock back loop more than enough for FJ recoveries or would it make sense to get a hitch receiver with a good recovery hitch that takes soft shackles? Or is this a "nice to have" but not "must have" upgrade?

Also, regarding the front 2 points, they seem plenty strong and welded in numerous places to the frame - here it definitely doesn't make sense to add extra recovery points (which in my opinion would probably be weaker than the factory loops), correct?

Thank you!

Good topic @Patrick !

From what we have seen, the factory tow points on front and the rear of the FJ are more than strong enough to execute "normal" recoveries. 

The hitch receiver is a good alternative for doing recoveries and will offer a better force distribution on your chassis HOWEVER if you do some research on tow hitch and hitch receivers they will mention that this for TOWING ONLY, and not for hard pulls. However i have never seen one breaking and we often use them to recover vehicles.

Another good alternative which would be "as per the book" is to install rated recovery points, which will be mounted on your chassis with at least 3 bolts and are really made for any type of recoveries:

WTS: Front Recovery Points - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

I think this is the best option and will allow you to upgrade the stock recovery points on the front and rear with these units.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi @Frederic, thanks for your reply! I personally wouldn't recommend these yellow tow points as any pulling that is not coming from straight ahead can create significant leveraged forces that can bend or rip out this tow point, creating a potential projectile.

While it might be rated/tested to a certain breaking-strength, my understanding is that these aftermarket tow points have often not been properly tested on the frame, if forces are applied from let's say a 45 degree angle or any significant angle that is not straight ahead. 

I have seen this very good video online, although it applies to the Prado, the front chassis part is the same as the FJ. I think it's an interesting watch.

Edited by Patrick
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

In the club's experience with recoveries, is that stock back loop more than enough for FJ recoveries or would it make sense to get a hitch receiver with a good recovery hitch that takes soft shackles?

Yes they are enough, If you know how to recover and safely execute from soft, medium and hard tugs.

No, they aren't safe, if you don't know how to recover.

Sadly, 90% off-roaders know the brute force alone, which breaks the stuff and bones. Seen many professionally employed rated experts ripping the heavy-duty rated tow points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Some very good observations from the video:

1. Factory tow points in this example by Toyota are plenty strong. Unfortunately, this is not the case for every 4x4. For example, the Nissan Xterra has very weak original tow points, and some more modern 4x4 models only have tie-down points.

2. For the ones that have weak original towpoints or only tie-down points, these rated recovery hooks are the best alternative IF mounted properly (not with two bolts, but with all three and properly torqued with good quality bolts as well). Getting some fabricated with 3 mounting points is also fine (many of our offroaders do this).

Pulling a vehicle HARD from a 45°C angle to the point it would result in damage is quite rare in our deserts, and would only be to re-direct said vehicle to a different angle. In those cases using a bridle rope to connect both front tow points and distribute the load is useful. Even on a tow-hitch there would be a risk for damage as it has been made for straight load and not at an angle.

Final point: i have seen hundreds of videos over the years from Australia or USA. I have learnt a lot but i also learnt that this does not always apply to our kind of offroading in the UAE desert sand.

An example:

I recently saw a video of a GU patrol being recovered from the beach, but that GU patrol must have been weighing 3000kg plus as it was an overlander with so much stuff on board, and they were bogged down to the chassis but did not bother to take out a shovel and clear the path but were yanking with a rope like maniacs. No offense to them, but by following proper protocol of clearing the sand as much as possible, and starting off with a gentle tug would have helped a lot :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

19 minutes ago, Frederic said:

the Nissan Xterra has very weak original tow points,

I still have the front stock one ( rear replaced as are weaker yes ) … but as mentioned above it’s how recovery is executed best and the importance of sand clearing is extremely vital to the success. Unfortunately with the “best “ recovery points still when not done properly we see disasters 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Final point: i have seen hundreds of videos over the years from Australia or USA. I have learnt a lot but i also learnt that this does not always apply to our kind of offroading in the UAE desert sand.

Further to your point @Frederic the author of the video posted above (Anthony) is quite well known in the Prado circles in Australia for being controversial with his opinions so always best to do your own homework like the OP is.

And your right about recoveries in Australia are different to the UAE whether it’s in mud, rocks and on the beach, scenarios that don’t exist here.

Also using a bridle across the front to avoid excessive load on one point is a great way to spread the load.

• Like (+1) 3

In my last night drive I got stuck in weird position and realised that the self recovery would slide the car into more difficult situation ending its rear to  v pocket . The only way was to winch it forward to bring its left front wheel on ground. As we didn’t have winch I used long kinetic rope ( double rope ) and let the heavy LC to slide in forward direction without gas utilizing the steady ramp ( winching like ) and smoothly came out