•  
Advertise here

If it leaks is must be a Jeep

An update on the patient: 

Crankshaft Seal

VVL Seal

Gasket Cylinder head cover.

Timing chain gasket (none available  in country)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

As expected from pic, the crank seal was a probable bet, but wondering why Head Gasket is leaking.

A head gasket leak is definitely not a good sign for the overall longevity of the engine. Has your car overheated to the max and were you still kept pushing?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav to my surprise no. I’ve never noticed the engine or the oil get abnormally hot. I usually make sure I switch my displays between tyre pressure and oil pressure along with checking the engine temp. My engine temp is usually always on the cold side with one bar difference in the middle. When I get the car back I’ll make sure to monitor the engine temp closer especially after long climbs to make sure I haven’t been overseeing something. 

• Like (+1) 1

I may have misspoke , don’t believe the head gasket went, shall know shortly.

2no gasket cylinder head covers, one of each bank. And a kit of seals to go in the covers.

Lttle higher up in the engine for then the head gasket and seemingly a common item to leak as it ages. The covers are made of plastic too.

Then we have the pcv valve as you replace at the same time.Then the crankshaft oil seal 

Followed by The timing chain gasket kit. 

Plus a some random other seals and a whole coolant refill as the front of the car and radiator came off to get access to the engine.

IMG_6707.jpeg

IMG_6708.jpeg

Edited by Gary F
Update on parts
  • Like (+1) 2

If the head gasket is/was leaking driver will surely feel the loss of power and misfire at idle.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

If the head gasket is/was leaking driver will surely feel the loss of power and misfire at idle.

Weird. Never had a misfire. Apart from that I’ve found the jeep to be always very ‘peppy’ with only a few times I felt I didn’t have power under a heavier load

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like (+1) 1

Looks like the valve covers were also replaced, engine looks and runs like new.

proper test will be tonight’s drive @Benjamin

IMG_6709.jpeg

IMG_6712.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

Both times I got leaks were when I did an extreme wash. I stopped doing extreme wash with water on the engine side and no more leaks. I think the sand actually helped me in sticking and containing the leaks.

I simply use my ARB air blower for cleaning.

• Like (+1) 1

• 10 months later...

Almost a year since this post and either we got a bad engine or it’s a bad design, in the last 11 months the crankshaft seal has been replaced twice due to leaks. 

or alternatively this is just a consumable on the wrangler 

IMG_1970.jpeg