•  
Advertise here

Next off-roader - advice

Mohit Gurnani

@Mohit Gurnani maybe it is best to go back to basics to answer your question.

What is your main purpose of off-roading:

1- Dune bashing ?

2- Over-landing ?

3- Adventure truck ?

4- Do you need space to haul in the family into adventures ? with their gear?

To @Gaurav’s point: Is it an ultimate goal for you to reach the fastest or getting to the tallest point? 

While I’m aware that none of the above points are answers to your question but sometimes going back to basics might help you find the answer. All in all, you already have the car and it is one of the top off-roading cars. Maybe, @Frederic’s point about balancing your drive levels could be a compromise to keep the “car abuse” concern you have in check. 

The point you bring probably goes through the mind of many off-roaders, if not all.

Maybe there is no straight forward answer as there are also other elements in play, at a more personal level, such as your appetite to write-off the invested amount in a new car based on financial aspects and comfort levels, among other points.

One point I have seen and heard from multiple off-roaders is that many started off with an objective for exploration, overlanding or having an adventure truck then slowly found themselves stuck in the loop of dune bashing. This is why I’m suggesting going back to basics as you might find some answers there which might help you in your decision process. 

Hope this helps, even slightly.

Edited by Mike M.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:24 PM, Rob S said:

Hi Mohit, can you explain a bit more what you mean by "car is taking a bit of abuse"

Although I drive a modified FJ (Lifted with Dobinson's suspension) I don't feel the car takes to much of a beating on intermediate level drives (though driving slowly through cross tracks is required!). Unfortunately I cannot compare driving stock FJ! 

I too bought another car as my daily now, so can keep the KM off the FJ and it can be my desert toy for many years to come. 

@Rob Smaybe abuse was a stretch - but what I meant was generally pushing the engine, transmission to the limits, scraping it in all sorts of places, the occasional bump to the skid plate etc just made me a bit worried- but I think I’ll make my peace with it for now!

On 12/20/2023 at 12:29 AM, Mike M. said:

@Mohit Gurnani maybe it is best to go back to basics to answer your question.

What is your main purpose of off-roading:

1- Dune bashing ?

2- Over-landing ?

3- Adventure truck ?

4- Do you need space to haul in the family into adventures ? with their gear?

To @Gaurav’s point: Is it an ultimate goal for you to reach the fastest or getting to the tallest point? 

While I’m aware that none of the above points are answers to your question but sometimes going back to basics might help you find the answer. All in all, you already have the car and it is one of the top off-roading cars. Maybe, @Frederic’s point about balancing your drive levels could be a compromise to keep the “car abuse” concern you have in check. 

The point you bring probably goes through the mind of many off-roaders, if not all.

Maybe there is no straight forward answer as there are also other elements in play, at a more personal level, such as your appetite to write-off the invested amount in a new car based on financial aspects and comfort levels, among other points.

One point I have seen and heard from multiple off-roaders is that many started off with an objective for exploration, overlanding or having an adventure truck then slowly found themselves stuck in the loop of dune bashing. This is why I’m suggesting going back to basics as you might find some answers there which might help you in your decision process. 

Hope this helps, even slightly.

@Mike M. this is a super helpful framework! Maybe the best next step would be for me to explore the car in other capacities apart from dune bashing, and see what’s the sweet spot accordingly.

That would definitely help me narrow down the decision long term!

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 12/29/2023 at 11:37 PM, Mohit Gurnani said:

@Mike M. this is a super helpful framework! Maybe the best next step would be for me to explore the car in other capacities apart from dune bashing, and see what’s the sweet spot accordingly.

That would definitely help me narrow down the decision long term!

I can’t take the credit for it. It was inspired by @Frederic. You should join his drives as much as you can. He makes a mix of everything. He will help you find your sweet spot

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use