Advertise here

Just started my Adventure , have some questions

VCO

Hi everyone,

I bought a Series I discovery last week and started my journey :)

It seems to be running ok and fun but there are things need to be checked.

So could you please recommend me a good mechanic I can trust and a garage for parts

Only immediate issue I have is with the breaks I need to put a lot of pressure for car to stop so I will make them checked and probably replace the pads

I'm also planning to check all fluids and replace oils , by the way what type of engine oild do you use , I read all the stuff related to ZDDP diesel oils etc, what do we have in Dubai?

What about tyre pressure ? do you go with factory defaults or increase them as most people recommends ?

I'll be driving my kid to the school so I do not want to stop because of overheating so I'll make them check the cooling system overall (the fan , radiator, coolant etc)

Any other ideas , what should I be checking at first?

Thanks a lot

Congrats on ur new ride.

Parts you can source from sharjah from gulf star. Cheapest than all and about 50% discounted price than Al Tayer.

If you need to put lot of pressure on braking, that doesnt sound quite right. Its one of the weakest part of disoc and MOST expensive to repair. I am 90% sure its not pad its not rotor. Its the master cylinder or caliper piston is weak. Both are expensive.

You might not find any trustworthy garage, so its better to do check on 3 people and get the job done from one who sounds educated and talk logic. I havent find one trusted garage in 7 years. As first time every garage wants to be good with you to make u regular and after 1st or 2nd visit they rip u off completely.

engine oil, Shell helix is good and valvoline is good. Never heard of diesel oil in disco. Is ur discovery diesel engine?

Congrats on ur new ride.

Parts you can source from sharjah from gulf star. Cheapest than all and about 50% discounted price than Al Tayer.

If you need to put lot of pressure on braking, that doesnt sound quite right. Its one of the weakest part of disoc and MOST expensive to repair. I am 90% sure its not pad its not rotor. Its the master cylinder or caliper piston is weak. Both are expensive.

You might not find any trustworthy garage, so its better to do check on 3 people and get the job done from one who sounds educated and talk logic. I havent find one trusted garage in 7 years. As first time every garage wants to be good with you to make u regular and after 1st or 2nd visit they rip u off completely.

engine oil, Shell helix is good and valvoline is good. Never heard of diesel oil in disco. Is ur discovery diesel engine?

Thanks for the info its petrol 3.9 V8 but I've heard people mentioning 20-50 diesel oils because of ZDDP levels

About the brakes when you say expense you know approx how much it should cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Wait for another die hard landy fan (one of my old friend) Desertdude, to comment on Diesel engine oil. He tried this on his discovery and i am sure he will share some info with you.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks for the link. I've been using Diesel oil in my petrol 3.9 for what, at the very least for a year and a half now I think. You're absolutely correct about the ZDDP, not levels though, regular modern petrol oil does not have it all, lack of it leads to tappet and cam shaft lobe wear, turning you motor into an anemic donkey over time.Something cruicial to our flat tappet motors. All Land rover V8's till 2002 and 2004 on the Discoveries.

The best bang for the buck I have found till date is ADNOC HDSP Diesel oil 42 bucks for a gallon it has a SJ rating. The S in the rating stands for Spark i.e Petrol Engines. The C rating in diesel stands for Compression. You want to make sure the diesel oil you use has a S rating.

Thanks for the information.

I have done my main maintenance and they changed all the liquids so I'll try diesel oil on next one.

Car seems to be running fine so I'm planning my first desert trip within a week

lets see what happens :mrgreen: