Advertise here

Clak noise while changing gears from D to R

I recently bought a 2002 Range Rover after selling my notorious freelander.

Enjoying it nicely, but i also notice when i shift gear from D to Reverse then there is a slightly loud clak noise coems if my windows are down. If windows are clsoed then i cant hear anything. Its a similar clak when in non AWD car you engage 4WD and you hear that clak for engaging and disengaging. Something similar to this i used to hear in my Land Cruiser few years back when i use to engage 4WD = single clak.

This noise has just started recently from last month, all these 5 months there was no problem at all.

Get the gear box looked into once, if its from the coupling inside the gearbox that switches from D to R is making noise?

If its not too loud and bad, i would just ignore it. Make sure all gear oil and diff oils are within their oil life and not turned black.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt that gear solenoid switch is the one making that noise. If car is old, then this semi electrical conductor is known to make such trouble at varies conditions. It wont do any harm but if you still concerned then get it changed. I believe in something that if its working then let it work and dont touch and pin point small small issues.