Advertise here

New to DXB, New to LR: Help find my perfect Disco?

In less than a week I will be wheels down in Dubai. With my significant other already on the ground and sorting out living situation, it's up to me to find a vehicle. Thankfully.

I have always been in love with the aesthetics of Discos but know next to nothing about them. I stumbled across this forum and was pleased to see it is relatively active.

I am looking to spend no more than 30,000 AED and would prefer to find a 2004 model.

What sort of mileage should I look for? (is there an upper limit where things tend to fall apart?)

Does 30,000 AED for a 2004 model with 180k seem like a fair price?

What are the pitfalls I should be aware of?

How much does a pre-buy inspection at AAA cost and how thorough is the inspection?

Thanks so much in advance!

I cannot answer all your questions,also there is a flipant and answer that all starts to fall off from new, but suggest you take the advice of AAA or similar.

You do not mention offroad, but if you do intend to enjoy the disco in the full then probably look to get an 04 with the Diff Lock as as an option, generally not available on earlier models , not essential but would be a nice to have.

Mine has 100k on the clock (2000 my) and no leaks or major mechanical issues. You will already know but get one with a good service history, ideally with AAA or similar, and as you mention get it checked before you buy whatever the cost it is worth it

Thanks very much for your response!

I will mainly be using her to get from Business Bay to Jebel Ali on a daily basis but hope to cut my teeth on some dunes next winter!

Just a quick question about your odometer reading: is it in KM or miles? The 2004 I referred to above is in kilometers so seeing a 2000 at nearly half came as a bit of a shock!

Cheers,

Greg

To tell you the truth in todays market you will get mix cars with Hi and low mileage. If you search patiently you can easily find one around 120k kms at 2003-2004 model. Getting checked with AAA or A2B guys is very good idea and also ask them you evaluate too, so that you pay the fair price. Check with service history too as Farnley has mentioned its very important, though disco's is tough cars but at the end of day they are LR and british made that means less forgiving than Japanese cars. Good luck with your search, and do let us know what you get. Cheers.