Advertise here

Grinding noise when driving in 2wd

Hi i have a mitsubishi 2008 3.8v6 fully loaded .... recently after the 80,000 km service i hear a grinding noise when its running in 2wd when i shift it into 4wd the noise doesnt come secondly all the fluids for the vehicle were changed i am suspecting another transmission fluid change might do the trick .... did anyone have a similar problem or does anyone have a solution to this? I searched the net and looks like it could also possibly require a solenoid valve change ...

my friend the honest reply i can give is get the car checked by an expert when i see anyone having grinding noise issue i never suggest anything but a visual check. if we try to even guess anything it may worsen the problem.

i found the problem actually, while searching the net and the getting the confirmation from al-habtoor... the grinding noise comes from the vaccum solenoid valves which try to engage the 4wd whereas i am running the vehicle in 2wd. the only solution that i see is a replacement of the valves!

• 4 weeks later...

hi, in the Al Habtoor invoices they don't break down labor and parts separately. the invoice justs lists: " Valve, Freewheel Cl Con (1) 724 AED [List price] 434 AED [discount price].

BTW-- this 9k invoice was at 70K for brakes (4 wheel discs and pads), service visit, some suspension work, ac service, spark plugs, cleaning the throttle body, and the emotion control valve....but the car still has trouble in the morning (hitching and halting with low power for first 2 minutes of driving).

Try Air flow meter sensor cleaning by yourself couple of times when car is cold and see if it helps. Or else change the AFM sensor.

For cleaning it buy 10 aed carburetor cleaner, open air filter box, and inside the top cover there is mesh protecting the AFM sensor. Start the car and spray the carb cleaner on mesh and car will stall in 5 seconds. Wait for 1 min and start the car and do this again 2 times.

Try his cleaning for 2-3 times in a week, it should make a noticeable difference in hesitation. If it doesn't you need to change the AFM sensor which is bomb expensive mate.