•  
Advertise here

Discriminating customer service at new car dealers

Nameless

On one of the weekend I went to the Volkswagen showroom in Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai with a 50% mind to buy Volkswagen Touareg. I was in my casual dress as usual enjoying my Saturday. As soon as I entered there wasn't anybody to meet and greet. There was a receptionist who is least bothered about the customer walking in the showroom. I don't know it's because of my appearance or a dress code.

I looked around for the details of the car and I read through the specifications placed in front of the each vehicle with their pricing, still I wasn't convinced and expecting some smart sales person to come and explain more in detail and make my inclination to 90-95%. After I waited for 10-15 mins and couple of reminder to the receptionist, one sales lady came and I started asking the details of the car then she replied it's all displayed there and I should read that as if she is not willing to help forget convincing.

I asked her about the bank loan facility they offer or recommend and she was again hesitant to answer and help. In between another family came, so she jumped to them with warm welcome and good greeting to white skin. And she completely ignored me after this question, and she was tagging all along with them and not even looking at me.

Then I went back to the reception and requested to see the manager and she said he is not in today because it's a Saturday. I requested for his mobile number or if there is any supervisor available with who I can speak or discuss my Touareg queries somebody who is in-charge of this showroom, she didn't gave any contact or names of anybody.

Then I said you guys are not trained to handle the customers, you must be trained in a professional manner to be here and greet the prospective customers regardless of their appearance, nationality or skin color. Then she stood up and replied with big no sir, you are misunderstanding and we treat everyone equal and there is no discrimination here. I replied I just experienced it right now and you don't need to explain further and this is why I asked you that who is the showroom in-charge or whoever is acting on Saturday and you are not giving me, anyways I will come back here and see what I can do and I came out.

Edited by Nameless

I had a similar experience at Al Tayer showroom for Land Rover where arabs in arabic white dress get entertained on priority and rest of the boys wait until they finish the conversation. Sometime you can't help it and have to ignore this to get the required customer service.

This is something very normal everywhere, and hope to see individual changes after this law announcement, which is very nice and timely announced in UAE to set a stage for bigger cosmopolitan approach for Expo 2020.

Very sorry to hear your experience and If I am in your place, I would definitely complain to VW main manager to provide adequate training required for their car-sales staff and let them know what is happening down below.

Once had worst experience at Nissan service center that I was waiting for 30 minutes to hand over my car for normal service and all service advisers were busy running here and there, off course not ignoring me.

Came back and wrote strong email to Arabian Automobile and service center manager called me next day to apologies and invite to see him over a coffee and get my car service. He explained very nicely that how he is struggling due to less staff and he already reported that to management and additional staff is coming in few weeks. He offered me some discount to win me over the embarrassing wait and going back once. Every business work differently with human psychology and some win their customer in end and some loose them for life.

Hi

Usually I check the website and study it (for several brands not only one brand) and going to dealers with specific questions on my mind and sometimes insisting on a test drive after all I'm going to pay for it (cash or bank finance..eventually  I'm going to pay for it) so if I did not get the thing that I'm looking for I'm not going to buy it.

and look carefully for complaints and regular problems

The sales person is just promoting the car and the brand and most of them don't have any idea about technical specs (they know horse power and number of speeds) but if you ask about technicalities they have no clue so if you ask how many valve or cams or wheel size or cost of service or maximum towing weight or gearbox type they would check the catalogs!

Maybe the lady had unsecured feeling about you (they can smell your testosterone regardless beauty LOL)

take it easy it happens everyday and everywhere in every industry not only in car dealers you can book a flight and later when you need to change date they ask for extra money or it's nonrefundable.

• Gaurav unfeatured this topic