•  
Advertise here

Roadside Assistance

GFlint

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

BTW, anyone ask why AAA can't go in the basement where almost every building here in Dubai have at least 2-3 level down basement parking. Sounds really dumb logic - charge extra (big deal), but do what you supposed to do at least.

Tow trucks are too high I think, Imagine that + a SUV on top of the truck.

Edited by GFlint

2 hours ago, GFlint said:

Tow trucks are too high I think, Imagine that + a SUV on top of the truck.

Well in all fairness, either they provide those front wheel lifting low height tow truck or agree to provide on site repair for quick fixes like flat battery and lost key etc. Straight away denying like this to not to visit in basement parking is not very nice.

Do they have disclaimer saying such ridiculous term...?

Capture.JPG

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

The problem with those trucks is that it's not good to tow an automatic vehicle with the driven wheels on the ground. And everything here is automatic. So if it's RWD and you lift the front up and tow with the driven wheels on the ground, you could damage the transmission. When the engine is running, oil is pumped around the transmission and everything is nicely lubricated. When the engine isn't running and you're towing with the driven wheels on the ground, everything inside the transmission is still spinning but there's no lubrication. 

Think about your engine running nicely and everything well lubricated. Then take the chain off the oil pump and start it again. It wouldn't be long until it siezed. 

I agree with you barry, but most cars are either front or back wheel drive and this truck can/should lift the free wheels up in the bracket. Secondly it is just used to get it out from basement or re-position car from some sticky spot not to drive all the way to workshop. I have seen similar truck used by RTA or Dubai police to move abandoned cars.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have been lucky with Aman Insurance, they have their own agreement with a few of these recovery companies and twice when my battery went dead they sent a guy in a Yaris with powerful battery pack to get me back on my way. On one occasion there was something wrong besides the battery and he still got it started and told me the issue which i have now conveniently forgotten and that gave me enough time to drive to the closest garage and get the repair job done. Which means the recovery driver was also mechanically inclined and knew what could be wrong. My hats off to them.