•  
Advertise here

Project car learning

Gaurav

Remember you might scrap few projects before reaching the perfect one. I scrapped 5 to be precise and learned from failure at every level.

Always remember to not to overspend on any project until you are fully convinced.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Remember you might scrap few projects before reaching the perfect one. I scrapped 5 to be precise and learned from failure at every level.

Always remember to not to overspend on any project until you are fully convinced.

I learned one thing. People; who buying brand new lancer are not stupid.

My Cherokee XJ is my project. Yes, I have spent some money on it with 50% of it being my fault. But I just love the fact that I can do things to that car not worrying about the impact on how it looks or feels while driving. I hope that I can build the audio system as the next step on the project. I had no idea about cars and it was never an outright passion, but I always wanted to learn. Possibly never had the right environment to learn till I met the Carnity members.

I completely agree with what Gaurav says, that you need to be confident on the vehicle before you start investing money. 

Edited by skumar83
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, sertac said:

I learned one thing. People; who buying brand new lancer are not stupid.

I agree with what you said but only to a very limited extent. Buying brand new car is good for people who absolutely have no knowledge of cars, no time to spare and last but not least zero risk taker.

However, I believe in buying 4-5-year-old luxury marque at the price of brand new Camry or Accord and drive for 2 years with minimum maintenance cost and limited depreciation - unlike when brand new.

All car in my signature is a testament to this theory and I never lost more than 20% in depreciation for 2 years of ownership.

Secondly, when buying slightly used car, you are more free to try new stuff or experiments than fitting the K&N will void the warranty.

I even remember buying a non-working Jeep Grand Cherokee on recovery truck for 5K because it has V8 magnum grunt for off-road and then sold off for 6K after spending 3K to make it in running condition. The project car is always a gamble and more you learn the better you get in taking shots as per your need and expectations. 

And sometimes you simply get lucky by chance, in my case I bought 3.0 Pajero for wifey while I was having a 4.5 liter Nissan patrol. Once I sold that Patrol, I thought of testing that 3.0 Pajero in sand and to my surprise I was chasing a modified Jeep Wrangler of a seasoned off-roader in sweihan and that 4x4 never died. After fully testing I started searching for 3.5 liter (my present Pajero) as in that year 3.5 + SWB was extremely rare.

For an offroad project car remember that Power - Weight ratio is king, I even remember maintaining an excel sheet from wikipedia stats of knowing which car has better hp/ton. That's why you see old Nissan Patrol sticking LS1 engines than any other car as it is the lightest shell with reasonable safety aspects to bump up the power to get the best power-weight ratio.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Enough time, money and knowledge and any project is viable. Especially now in the age of the internet where everything you need to know is at your fingertips. You might not get a return on your investment every time but sometimes it's more about the labour of love than the money. I'm working on 3 projects at the minute, the rat rod, a van and a twin engine jet boat. Most sane people would just nope right out of there but it's a good hobby and a good way to stay occupied. Challenges make the man.

• Like (+1) 1

"Challenges make the man". True, but only if the man can afford the challenge at hand. However, if you can afford what you are doing, then yes, the challenge does make the man. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Barry said:

Sometimes the challenge is not having the money and making it work anyway

As challenges go, this is the worst kind. However, it also separates the true mechanics from those who like rolling in their own dung.