•  
Advertise here

Never replace a belt ever again. Snake oil Pehaps ???

34 minutes ago, treks said:

Gaurav said previously that the belts on his Pajero is lasting much longer since he began treating them with wd40, and while I agree that wd40 will silence an occasional squeak, repeated applications of the stuff will also build up a residue over which the belt might start to slip. Thus, the belt squeaks because it is slipping- a new application of wd40 silences the belt until it starts slipping again, more wd40, more slippage, more wd40, and so on and so forth.  

My only intent to save that irritating squeaking and not the money, Barry and Saleem - both mechanics know me well that I don't spare a dime on my Pajero, so this happens to be more of the situational experiment than anything else.

Every time I spray WD40 it stay quiet for next 6-7 months, so overall in last 2 years I have sprayed 3-4 times only.

10 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Lord knows I remember I created a malestorm here when I suggested using diesel oil in flat tappet motors and water ingestion decarbonization !!!! :shock:

Oh yes, I rem that very well.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

29 minutes ago, treks said:

The biggest problem with belt sprays is that their manufacturers have managed to convince the public that a couple of applications of the spray is equal to a belt replacement.  

Injector cleaner additive sir? Only 15 dirhams.

A lot of it comes down to ignorance. And I'm not saying ignorance as in being stupid, I'm using it in the the true sense of the word as in lacking knowledge, not yet been properly educated on certain matters. Far too many people swallow whatever marketing and advertising bs is fed to them without doing any proper research or looking at proper scientific studies. Oooo the "mechanic" in the petrol shop said it's good so it must be good. People forget that people selling these products are salesmen, their on commission. This is why we have people in UAE changing their oil every 4K rather than following the vehicle manufacturers service schedules which would save them hundreds or thousands in the long term.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Injector cleaner additive sir? Only 15 dirhams.

A lot of it comes down to ignorance. And I'm not saying ignorance as in being stupid, I'm using it in the the true sense of the word as in lacking knowledge, not yet been properly educated on certain matters. Far too many people swallow whatever marketing and advertising bs is fed to them without doing any proper research or looking at proper scientific studies. Oooo the "mechanic" in the petrol shop said it's good so it must be good. People forget that people selling these products are salesmen, their on commission. This is why we have people in UAE changing their oil every 4K rather than following the vehicle manufacturers service schedules which would save them hundreds or thousands in the long term.

What you said. Plus the fact that most old school mechanics still believe that each can and bottle of aftermarket additive/miracle cure contains a little mechanic.  

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

i once had a customer he got the car at 300k and ran it till 600k something without changing the timing belt when i opened the timing cover for replacing the seals i told him that he had to replace the belt too as it was oil socked...