Jump to content

UAE'S MOST ENGAGING CAR SITE

Adnoc oil change | Best car battery | Best engine oil | Best fuel efficient cars | Best resale value cars | Car detailing | Dubai police fines discount | Salik recharge | Tasjeel comprehensive test |
P0335 | P0170 | P0299 | P200A | P2237 | P2056 | P2251 | P2271 | P2231 | P2253 | P2425 | P0690 | P2253

Atif

Adaptive ( Dynamic) Cruise Control

Recommended Posts

I have always wondered why Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)  is not a compulsory requirement in all cars. None of my cars ( Pardo 2014 and Camry 2006)  has it, although I am aware the more expensive cars do have them ( Mercs.)  Most people will state that it is the cost that prevents it but I would like to know if it is more expensive than the air-bags installed in most cars ? I can only assume that the front sensing system may be expensive .

While sitting next to new drivers ( like my son and daughter) the first thing that I have to watch out for is the judgement of the braking distance. A large percentage of accidents on our roads are due to this misjudgment . With high speed urban driving even an experienced driver may have faced emergency braking scenarios ( I have). 

I believe that electronic sensors like most electronic components are getting cheaper so why the delay in this option. Even if it may have some negatives consequences , it should be available in all cars even if it is has optional activation switch.

Perhaps those who have ACC or know the cost can comment about the hurdle that stops the manufacturers from installing this life saving device.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about the hurdle, but its the most "IRRITATING" thing I have ever found in my Range.

Problem with adaptive cruise control is it keeps lot of distance, and keep braking quite early that makes everyone else fall in front of you and your cruise again keep on braking more and more.

I have only used cruise on empty road and not in traffic moving road for this reason.

Although it comes with distance adjustment - 3 settings, but the minimum distance is also over 100 meters, normally when human being control the car we keep 100 meter distance at 120-140 speed and not at 60. If distance can be tweaked manually to bare minimum to what suits your driving style, road and traffic then it will be nice than having a blanket system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like I can't remember half the phone numbers of my family and friends since mobile phone has all of them stored. Similarly with adaptive cruise control we would loose our sense of braking. Let the kids learn it the hard way.

  • Like 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Just like I can't remember half the phone numbers of my family and friends since mobile phone has all of them stored. Similarly with adaptive cruise control we would loose our sense of braking. Let the kids learn it the hard way.

A good point...and one I think will also apply in autonomous driving.

  • Like 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well wait for a while and it will become standards after a few years. Just like before only cars like Merc had ABS then Airbags, traction control and then it slowly seeped down into Japanese ecoboxes

If you want to see what options your jap crap will have in the next 10-15 years look at whats available 8n a S class Merc today for sedans and Range Rovers for SUVs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It already has arrived back when first ls 430 hit the roads...but usually the front collision cars don't have them fixed so a running one is pretty rare...

but I have used that function in a 2000 s500 was pretty scary I had set the distance very near and was playing with the stick to increase the speed had almost hit it to 140 and as the car in front of me moved in the roundabout the merc tried to gain that high speed and in the right moment and someone's kind blessings made me hit the breaks or else might have crossed through the roundabout straight...

This could be very comfortable option for open roads but shouldn't be used in city driving...

  • Like 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried this system a few days back on the autobahn in Germany with an Audi A40 rental and it worked great. Here in the UAE with stupid lane swerving knobheads i can imagine it’s almost impossible to use.

  • Haha 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shadow79 said:

It already has arrived back when first ls 430 hit the roads...but usually the front collision cars don't have them fixed so a running one is pretty rare...

but I have used that function in a 2000 s500 was pretty scary I had set the distance very near and was playing with the stick to increase the speed had almost hit it to 140 and as the car in front of me moved in the roundabout the merc tried to gain that high speed and in the right moment and someone's kind blessings made me hit the breaks or else might have crossed through the roundabout straight...

This could be very comfortable option for open roads but shouldn't be used in city driving...

Cruise control is meant only highway driving hence the name cruise control i.e cruising down the highway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, desertdude said:

Cruise control is meant only highway driving hence the name cruise control i.e cruising down the highway.

Try driving adaptive cruise to cruise down the highway here, you will know the stupidity of designer and also impulsive road user here. Both are at extreme.

Fred, your car also had a 100 meter braking distance or is it Range only....?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Try driving adaptive cruise to cruise down the highway here, you will know the stupidity of designer and also impulsive road user here. Both are at extreme.

Fred, your car also had a 100 meter braking distance or is it Range only....?

I don't think I would mind. I usually keep a good distance anyways if on proper highway i.e not roads like shk Zayed or Al Khail.

But then again I don't even use regular cruise control. 

But the bigger advantage of DCC is it also doubles as a anti collision safety device on most vehicles Even when not ON it's still constantly working and if it detects collision is imminent it will go into action. Or rather the anti collision system doubles as DCC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use