UAE Green Desert: Discover Spectacular Transformation After 75-Year Rainfall

Check your tow points regularly

Gaurav

A lot of times the rust starts from the inside and works its way outward. If the hook is mounted to tube/box section, it may be worthwhile to drill a couple of holes in it and spray the inside with waxoyl or similar. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I just been to service center today for an oil change and spotted another Pajero on the lift.

I couldn't resist to take a pic of how badly tow point can get rusted and imagine if this Pajero comes to offroad and needs a tug.

And when this breaks and cause all the damage, it will be blamed on Mitsubishi stock points.

So everyone who are offroading weekly, please check your tow points regularly, at least once every 3 months.

• If any tow point is loose or shaking get it fixed. It will surely break.
  • If its rusted like this, take a wire brush and scrub all to see if it's superficial or deeper. Once clean if it superficial, spray paint with couple of layers to prevent rusting again.
  • If its rusted deep, better get it changed with new rated tow point and rated bolts.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 1.18.52 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 1.18.52 PM (1).jpeg

Thank you @Gaurav indeed 👍

the picture talks it all and it’s scary to imagine towing a vehicle “floating on a thread of rust “ 

emphasis on regular check regarding this matter is critically important . 

58 minutes ago, Barry said:

A lot of times the rust starts from the inside and works its way outward. If the hook is mounted to tube/box section, it may be worthwhile to drill a couple of holes in it and spray the inside with waxoyl or similar. 

Yes @Barry the unnoticed unappreciable hidden deeper  rust is the problem and in @Gaurav pictures it looks the rust long time has started !

• Like (+1) 3

Sharing my experience with tow or recovery points for xterra on the front.

- very cumbersome to fabricate.

- design needs to be prefect with use of atleast 10mm steel 

I had mine done few months back, all was done with 10mm except the base plate which attaches to chassis which was slightly thinner as shown in pic below20200909_140343.jpg.f5871f506a714d294a892c209128fb74.jpg

The one on the left got bent ( top one in the pic below)while tugging a few times from the front,  as shown 

20200909_131602.jpg.f76a9cadfb63b8555dd3a2185b250859.jpg

It was a struggle to get this out as the base plate had to be cut after removing the skid plate and radiator bracket and replace a new one which was done with 10mm steel all around. Used new bolts (stock nissan) to fix to chassis. I hope it holds good now.

Xterra owners please note

- to tow /tug as much as possible from the back.

- front tow points need a lot of time to fabricate good ones and fix them.prefer 10mm steel atleast

- any other suggestions or experiences welcome.

• Like (+1) 1

Have a look below. That looks like a very good set, and you can get your local fabriactor to make them the same.

Don't forget to use high tensile bolts (8.8 or 10.9) when bolting it to the chassis.

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/mps-habitat-offroad-front-recovery-point.239538/

Front_Recovery_Point_1024x1024.jpg?v=1500519941

pecifications:

• Thick, 1/2" steel construction
  • Precision laser cut for perfect fit
  • Fully welded
  • Gusseted for additional strength
  • Utilizes 3 frame mounting holes
  • Grade 10.9 hardware included
  • Black powdercoated finish
  • Accepts 3/4" D-ring shackle
  • Sold as a pair
  • Made in the USA