•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Faqa Loop "The Arboretum 102" - 13 Nov 2020

Ale Vallecchi

Thanks @Ale Vallecchi for your guidance and support and your solid leadership skills. @Foxtrot Oscar ( Angela) thank you for your super rescue skills and really appreciate effort. This session was a good learning experience for me yet again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Amazing/ Exciting drive ... Ale !!!

I'm positive (under your leadership) all of us will become pro's in no time - a lovely time.

The last minute route change was an icing on the cake !!!

Looking forward to many more ... with you.

Take care & Cheers !!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On 11/14/2020 at 6:48 PM, Ale Vallecchi said:

Raising the stakes: Faqa Arboretum 102, Newbie Drive Report

Some drives start one way and end another. It was the case of this Newbie drive: it had been planned as a leisurely loop in the Faqa area, and it ended as a much faster paced, fun packed ride all the way to Solar Park. Praise must be given to the quality of the drivers, who negotiated the first long range dunes of western Faqa so well that, once reached the planned midpoint of the drive in no time, prompted me to divert the track into the taller dunes' area, rather than turning back toward Faqa Town, and go all the way to the sabkha leading to Solar Park. This is how a previously driven Newbie itinerary executed in this area (Faqa Arboretum 101), which lasted 3:30 hours for 47.3 Km, became an almost Fewbie drive of 5:00 hours (not all moving) and 60 Km.

Along the way a few lessons were learned. First and foremost, I am confident that the necessity of never fighting gravity became engraved in all the members' minds, following a couple of tricky approaches to a taller, steeper dune, which resulted in a couple of wheels up in the air, and in a perfect sideways stuck. On a very positive and encouraging note, the whole convoy kept its motivation, put its collective head down, and marched on toward Solar Park, rising to the challenge of learning the principles of approaching the ridges, riding the easier ones, and practicing safe criss-crossing of low, wider dunes, toward the end of the drive. The day ended with mostly refusals, a few stucks, quickly solved by our Master Sweeper Angela (AKA @Foxtrot Oscar), and quite a few relieved yet smiling faces.

Well done to all the not-so-Newbie members: @Federico Galbieri for further improving in his Second Lead position, @Kaile Barrameda for her resilience, @Federico De Chirico for his persistence, @GauravSoni and @sri ganeshfor their fast learning, @Pickey Singh for continuing to master his new mount (congrats on your first recovery), @Sandeep Padhi, @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ and @Aravind Padmaraju for an impeccable drive, @Ahab Shamaa for attending his last Newbie drive (welcome to Fewbies), and @Malachy McGrogan for the perfect control exercised on his beast.

As mentioned above, the drive took 5:00 hours, went for 60 Km, at an average speed of 12 Km/h (but a much brisker 23 Km/h while moving).

Congrast to all drivers, thanks for coming, and hope to see you soon again.

Dear @Ale Vallecchi, @Foxtrot Oscar

Thank you for making the drive a memorable one and Ale thank you for the amazing lessons during the drive and the deciding to make it more fun by the diversion! Many lessons learnt again on this drive 

Thank you @Foxtrot Oscarand @Pickey Singh for the help in getting me out of the stuck situation.

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use