Advertise here

Portable Car Jump Starter/ Power Bank

Hello,

I would like to know if you have ever used a Portable Car Jumper / Power Bank. I was wondering whether it is worth getting one and also if it actually helps to jump start a 4x4 engine in emergency. Ones, I saw a guy jump starting a car but it was a 1.2L engine and it worked. Secondly, I was thinking whether it is safe to keep such kind portable battery in the car considering the high temperature of the car especially in summer. 

I would be really appreciate if you can share your experience, recommendation and any required specification.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 3.40.36 PM.png

Edited by Anish S
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Anish S said:

Hello,

I would like to know if you have ever used a Portable Car Jumper / Power Bank. I was wondering whether it is worth getting one and also if it actually helps to jump start a 4x4 engine in emergency. Ones, I saw a guy jump starting a car but it was a 1.2L engine and it worked. Secondly, I was thinking whether it is safe to keep such kind portable battery in the car considering the high temperature of the car especially in summer. 

I would be really appreciate if you can share your experience, recommendation and any required specification.

If you don't have another car nearby to be able to use jump leads this could be useful, but normally you can put another vehicle close enough to jump them. If not, it could help. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Anish S said:

Hello,

If you buy a good brand it should withstand the summer. Alternatively you can carry it only when you are venturing on long solo drive!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Don't waste money, if you aren't planning a solo long drive soon.

I bought an Anker (good brand) with warranty and used it twice within 6-7 months and then battery got swollen and warranty didn't applied to swollen battery.

I also followed all rocket-science instructions while using and always recharging them after its use and it still failed. So I'm back to good old style jumper cable, that always work.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

For ne it is a matter of personal safety. I have both, jump cables and the portable power pack. The advantage of the portable power pack is that I don't have to flag down cars when I am driving alone in order to get a jump start with the cables. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Anish S I agree with @Gaurav bhai. I had one from the original company which started this trend, BBS. Like @Gaurav bhai says it worked for me 3 times also, but eventually would not charge and no proper warranty. I am used to calling the recovery guys if the car does not start and they normally reach me within 30 - 45 minutes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have had a Crony portable jump starter. Used it more than a few times when my battery used to die. Not the most reliable but I always keep a fully charged unit just in case. After about using 15-20 times, it holds charge just enough for one jump start.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

I have one that can crank an 8.0L engine, but for me more importantly is the battery capacity, as I use it to light up the LEDs for few hours after sunset when having a bbq in al Qudra... I bought it after an unpleasant experience I faced in the desert.

A friend of mine volunteered to connect the LED light to his FJC, few hours later, his battery got completely drained and since both of us didn't have a decent jumper cables we couldn't start his car, so bought another shi*** jumper cables from the gas station and hooked them in parallel with the ones we had, we managed to get his car running but also ended up with an ABS light on my Y62.. Had it resolved at the agency few days later, it was just a code thrown by the ABS Module after detecting a fluctation in voltage...

So for me, I would stick with the portable power bank rather than ending up With a faulty module.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I also have a mercedes and there is a note on the bonnet that warns you from jump starting another vehicle. Can't remember the exact words they use..

I guess it is fine to jump start from older or less sensitive vehicles, I always used to do it in the past with no issues...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1