Advertise here

Nissan Patrol Y62 Rear Trailer Hook

Tareck

The Nissan Patrol Y62 comes equipped with a rear trailer hook, can this serve as a recovery point?

If not is there another rear recovery point in Nissan Patrol, or it must be replaced? And what is recommended to be replaced with (brand, type, load, etc.)

rear.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tareck said:

The Nissan Patrol Y62 comes equipped with a rear trailer hook, can this serve as a recovery point?

If not is there another rear recovery point in Nissan Patrol, or it must be replaced? And what is recommended to be replaced with (brand, type, load, etc.)

rear.png

Hi @Tareck yes this pintle hook is a perfect and adequate recovery point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Just now, Frederic said:

Hi @Tareck yes this pintle hook is a perfect and adequate recovery point.

OK thank you, Frederic!

The reason I am asking is that I see many Nissan Patrol owners who changes this recovery point and I never knew the reason. I thought it's only to hook trailers and not for recovery

• Like (+1) 2

@Tareck, @Frederic that hook in the back is meant for towing of max 3.5Tons but still can be used in easy recoveries. That point is connected to the crash bar, i've heard it gets bent in some hard recoveries.

However, there is a recovery point on the rear left side (opposite to the exhaust side) and is connected with 5 bolts to the chassis, based on the user manual, it shall be used as a recovery point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Pintle hook in LC and Patrol are one of the most safest and strongest recovery point. They aren't meant for trailers actually and that's why many patrol carry ball hitch for constant load for towing boat or quad bike trailers.

@Lawrence_Chehimi that pintle hook is usually attached to rear cross member bolted to chassis on left and right channel and not to the crash bar to best of my knowledge. I have never seen pintle hook failing under extreme load too. I have had LC100 and used the same pintle hook for recovering car uphill (more stressful) and they never failed.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gauravthat's what I read somewhere on the pintle hook on the Y62. But again not everything we read online is correct..

I will be modifying my rear bumper soon, once I take it out I will have a look on where that hook is attached to.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree and good to inspect than believing on what you read vs what I said. May be I'm wrong too on Y62 subject, but usually Pintle hook are the strongest part of LC and Patrol previous gen I have had and will all come to know the fact once you strip the bumper for Y62 now.

• Like (+1) 2

@Gaurav, you are right, just opened a drawing of the y62 chassis, there is actually no rear crash bar. It is as you said, the hook is connected directly to the rear cross member that is welded to the ladder frame.

Thanks for correcting me, now I can use that pintle hook with more confidence as I was always scared from bending it.

• Like (+1) 2

@Gaurav, i just called a friend who owns one and been part of a team who used to rally with modified Y62s, he said that the force on the bolts of the pintle hook is tension force which is much weaker than a shear force that happens on normal recovery point. The other thing is that when extra pull force is put on the rear cross member it tends to stretch out and will pull the ladders towards the inside, this is a scenario that they encountered in one of the recoveries. He advised me not to use that pintle hook in tough recoveries...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

The chance of stripping chassis on a single point of tow hook is much higher than on a cross-member pintle hook or centered hook that spreads the pulling force.

Off-road recoveries have no end for right and wrong and any pull done with "excessive speed" will tear off the chassis point or bend it for sure. That's why in harder pull or tricky situations, we "always" clear the resistance as much as we can to not stress the tow points, shackle, ropes and chassis.

I assume that on rally or desert championship where time is of an essence, so to clear the resistance is not always applied first.

Using sheer force, attempt 1:

Using sheer force, attempt 2, broke tow point:

Using sheer force, attempt 3 from the rear:

Cleared resistance with 5-10 min of shoveling:

• Like (+1) 5
  • WOW (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use