•  
Advertise here

Lifting Jeep Wrangler

Hey Carnity friends, 

Just wanted to trouble for some advice; 

My rubicon is lifted stock at 1inch. 

I like the look of 2.5inch height but I’m not sure if I should go with a body lift or full lift kit? 

What would you suggest? I do want to maintain a comfortable ride on the road but also have the right  support when off roading. I’d driven a friends jeep previously and it had been lifted 2.5inch but felt all over the place when on the road. 

Thank you 

Edited by Jason Grima
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 2

Firstly, it's not mandatory to lift your car only for the sake of driving off-road in the sand. The ample amount of stock cars in Carnity that venture into the desert every weekend is a testimony for that. But then you have mentioned a 2-2.5 inch lift, which is not too big.

Now for a 2 - 2.5 inch lift, a body lift kit with spacers would be sufficient as this doesn't tamper with the factory suspension settings and would also give you sufficient stability on the road.

The suspension lift kit is generally for bigger lifts (4 inch and above) and would need alteration of your entire setup which would cost signicantly more.

In both cases you can then install slightly bigger tyres which improves the overall look of the car. But do remember, if you go crazy on increasing the tyre size you will then land in the other issue of car feeling sluggish which might result in a possible regearing and entering the  never ending cycle of mods. Welcome to the Jeep World 😂

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @Jason Grima, Just directing you to other threads on the forums, in case you did not read already, lot of pointers in these

Eventhough Jeep appears to be the brand owned by max people within the club, our Jeep forum is comparatively inactive, wrt Xterra and Pajeros, not sure why ..probably because not many leads/marshals drive jeeps :-) 

these threads are not exactly a comparison between body lift and suspension lift, but address the question of whether or not to lift, and when to lift etc. to an extent

Edited by Sunil Mathew
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Morning, recommend you to watch this video.

Sorry, but I couldnt find any major useful information on the video other than the fact that if you have the money you can upgrade your suspensions. Also the fact that the video has been put out by a garage that earns a living on doing modifications (even if not necessary).

The only meaningful thing one guy in the video mentioned, which we at Carnity always recommend, is that first try your vehicle in whatever condition it is and once you feel you have reached the limit thats when you start looking at what next, but in an knowledgeable and informed manner and not just because you have been pressurized by the club with whom you are currently driving. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 3

23 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

The only meaningful thing one guy in the video mentioned, which we at Carnity always recommend, is that first try your vehicle in whatever condition it is and once you feel you have reached the limit thats when you start looking at what next, but in an knowledgeable and informed manner and not just because you have been pressurized by the club with whom you are currently driving.

exactly, and the fact that a group of guys from garages in UAE recommend it, in my opinion, reinforces the Carnity mentality. I personally found that useful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I like this topic.  My question for you will be "what kind of off-roading are you planning to do?".  If you will limit to our weekends on the dessert in UAE, don't bother lifting your jeep.  It is not required for what we do here.  The Wrangler is already the most capable Offroad vehicle as it comes from the factory.  If you already have 1" lift, my advice is DON'T TOUCH IT and enjoy it as it is.  

Sand off-roading don't require that much of a clearance.  It is more about engine power, light vehicle and driver's wrists and feet.  It is true that bigger jeeps look better, but for sand is actually better not to be too big for many reasons: weight, gravity center, gas autonomy, power compromise, etc.

But if you want to do rocks and mud on the wadis, then that is another story.  If that is your thing let me know.  I am looking for a partner to do that, hahahaha.

Edited by Alexander Alcala
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Woah, thank you all for the abundance of info and advice ! Much appreciated ! 

Some good points to consider but more or less it makes sense to keep as is for now! 

thanks team 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On 7/7/2021 at 5:48 PM, Alexander Alcala said:

I like this topic.  My question for you will be "what kind of off-roading are you planning to do?".  If you will limit to our weekends on the dessert in UAE, don't bother lifting your jeep.  It is not required for what we do here.  The Wrangler is already the most capable Offroad vehicle as it comes from the factory.  If you already have 1" lift, my advice is DON'T TOUCH IT and enjoy it as it is.  

Sand off-roading don't require that much of a clearance.  It is more about engine power, light vehicle and driver's wrists and feet.  It is true that bigger jeeps look better, but for sand is actually better not to be too big for many reasons: weight, gravity center, gas autonomy, power compromise, etc.

But if you want to do rocks and mud on the wadis, then that is another story.  If that is your thing let me know.  I am looking for a partner to do that, hahahaha.

We should have some rock crawling drives this winter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

don't drive like its your last one.

19 hours ago, Goutam said:

We should have some rock crawling drives this winter.

Dont mind even in the summer for a mountain drive. it will be much cooler than desert at top of mountains...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2