•  
Advertise here

Off road tires for FJ Cruiser

I'm planning to change my FJ tires in the next few days 

Now I'm driving my FJ with Bridgestone Dueler HT 

So I need to know which tires is performing well as per your experience 

• Like (+1) 3

@Ahmad Shaker, it will come down to your usage & needs:

1. If your car is a daily driver + you spend all your time in the desert: Yokohama Geolandars G015 is a great tyre. The softer compound makes them a dream to drive on-road and float offroad. You can also use it for some light loose rock driving. Having owned the G015s, I love their on-road performance and their soft pliability in the dunes but now that I'm beginning to venture more into the hills and rocky terrain, I don't trust them there so much.

2. If your car is going to spend an equal or >30% of the offroad time in Wadis and rocky environments, you will need a tyre with a stronger sidewall. The BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 is a crowd favorite on this front. This tyre is heavier than the Geolandars so if you only do desert driving, you will lose acceleration to better grip. The KO2s are also noisier than the Geos on-road.

Yokohama also makes a X-AT (Extreme, All-Terrain) tyre which I'm very keen to review.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

3 hours ago, Vaibhav said:

@Ahmad Shaker Cooper or Geolander. Normally a lot of FJ owners prefer Coopers.

Completely missed out on the Coopers. Good shout @Vaibhav!

Anybody here have experience on the AT3 XLT? I’ve seen a few around on drives.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, munkybizness said:

Completely missed out on the Coopers. Good shout @Vaibhav!

Anybody here have experience on the AT3 XLT? I’ve seen a few around on drives.

@munkybizness if I were you go with the Geolander G015. The Coopers are good but the quality of the side walls is horrible. I use the AT3 4s and every 6 months, one side wall cuts. I have been through 7 tires in 2.5 years.  The XLT  I'm not sure about but I've heard they are very heavy and make a lot of road noise. 

Screenshot_20220912-232109_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220912-232047_Gallery.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 2

16 minutes ago, Brette said:

@munkybizness if I were you go with the Geolander G015. The Coopers are good but the quality of the side walls is horrible. I use the AT3 4s and every 6 months, one side wall cuts. I have been through 7 tires in 2.5 years.  The XLT  I'm not sure about but I've heard they are very heavy and make a lot of road noise. 

Screenshot_20220912-232109_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220912-232047_Gallery.jpg

Thanks Brette was thinking of going with Cooper for my next change.. especially as not many companies have options with R18 on ATs. This is really good feedback to have 

• Like (+1) 4

I had cooper long ago once AT2, and they started losing chunks of tire tread within 1 year.

Seems Cooper still hasn't perfected the rubber blend for UAE heat.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have been using Cooper AT3 4s, since almost 1.5 years or little more without any issue. Last 2 weeks after one of the drives, at inflation point on tarmac, small sharp stone went on the side, damaged the tire and replaced. However, since using the car over the weekends only, might not be a good indication or evaluation of the tires 😉

• Like (+1) 2