•  
Advertise here

Jeep Wrangler JL Kill Switch

Hi all, new JL here and not happy with the onboard kill switch. Still getting anoying behavior from such as breaking, low rpm etc...

What does the kill switch everyone talks about do? Is it just the equivalent of removing fuses 100 and 106 or it actually connects to the car and does something more?

• Like (+1) 1

HI @AhmadTaha1988 - stock jl doesnt have a Kill switch. So, not sure which switch you are refering to. 

Simple way in JLU is press the Traction control button (something like the symbol below - its on the Uconnect console next to Auto Start switch) for like 10-15 second - till you see on dash screen Electronic Stability Control off. And thats it. 229634784_stability-control-button(1).jpg.c84544beeebb49ba34659c4d8d518330.jpg

Found exact pic. 

maxresdefault.jpg.9de866fe646e118dab051017cac08e55.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, AhmadTaha1988 said:

yes I was referring to that onboard button above... car is not behaving well and getting stuck is simple situations..

Press it for 10-15 sec … are you seeing the esc off message on screen? That’s the message you need to get - Owise it’s not fully off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Single press that above TC button = Traction off.

Long press for 5 sec = TC and ESP off, which makes offroading real pleasure without any interference.

Everytime you restart your car, you have to long press TC button.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Just now, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Press it for 10-15 sec … are you seeing the esc off message on screen? That’s the message you need to get - Owise it’s not fully off. 

Btw car needs to be in neutral to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

okay let me try that next time. I been reading on some forms thst even this is not sn absolute kill and the systems still come on in certain situations and that's why people install a "kill switch".

I am trying to figure out what the kill switch does... some tell me to install a Tazer Mini but its not clear from the user manual if it does a "more complete kill" of it just does the same thing as the onboard switch but remembers the settings when the car restarts.

• Like (+1) 1

It all depends on you, what you really wanna hook to kill switch option. I have seen kill switch killing Traction+ ESP+ ABS with a single flick.

In the above factory setting, you can achieve two main parts disabling Traction and ESP, which is really all you need. As ABS is only interfering while braking, so it's not gonna hold your performance.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

59 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Single press that above TC button = Traction off.

Long press for 5 sec = TC and ESP off, which makes offroading real pleasure without any interference.

Everytime you restart your car, you have to long press TC button.

And after 4L to 4H as well. And make sure that you do it when the car is in 4H.

I use tazer JL it retains ESP off as well as kills ABS.

https://carnity.com/forums/topic/17975-my-review-of-tazer-jl-mini

Edited by Looper

don't drive like its your last one.

I've had the kill switch installed in the past and vouch for its ease of use, functionality and peace of mind (not having to remember to press the TC after every shift from L to H or between 4H to 2H). Having said that, after the switch failed during one of the drives some three months ago, have been using the onboard switch and loving it.

As Gaurav mentioned, step 1 is single press which deactivates TC, step 2 is the press and hold for 5-7 seconds until you see the notification of ESC off on the dash. My Jeep, since its special, doesn't need to be in N to do the above steps, do check yours if its special too :-)

Now comes the cumbersome part compared to a kill switch; one needs to remember to disengage TC/ESC whenever there's a change between 2H, 4H, 4L or if one restarts the engine.  

In hindsight, i could have very well saved 400 dhs+++

• Like (+1) 1