•  
Advertise here

ARB air compressor hard mount in SWB

A small project that I have been putting off for a while.

mounted the ARB compressor inside the rear L/H quarter panel. Lots of room even with the factory amplifier. 

had some left over sound deadening mat so put a bit in as well.

took about three hours to do so nice little mod that frees up some of the limited space in the back of the SWB.

Have a kill switch for it next to battery and the switch next to the air fitting but will install a relay and a switch in my dash next. (Just have to find a heavy duty 60amp relay) 

IMG_4642.jpeg.445ae3e95406a3fc996c7816812b8c1b.jpegIMG_4643.jpeg.4f8efc4d8a1e58a48f9c0bbad3df3b1e.jpegIMG_4644.jpeg.e39bc8764f48e36e7227f4319e4e4440.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 7

3 minutes ago, PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke said:

Looks great.

Why rear instead of engine bay? 

Mostly personal preference but the V6 Engine bay is a bit to cramped, if this was the 3.2TD I would have a second battery and the compressor in the engine bay. there is lots of free space in the 1/4 panel plus it’s pulling clean cool air from the cabin,

the engine bay cops at lot of sand and heat (over 90deg) so hopefully the compressor will last a bit longer in this location.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

9 minutes ago, Stumpy Paj said:

Mostly personal preference but the V6 Engine bay is a bit to cramped, if this was the 3.2TD I would have a second battery and the compressor in the engine bay. there is lots of free space in the 1/4 panel plus it’s pulling clean cool air from the cabin,

the engine bay cops at lot of sand and heat (over 90deg) so hopefully the compressor will last a bit longer in this location.

Cheers mate! Good reasons

• Like (+1) 3

image.png.c014243929eca5f01a55ac8259ebfed4.png

Is this your 12V power plug ?

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

21 minutes ago, Frederic said:

image.png.c014243929eca5f01a55ac8259ebfed4.png

Is this your 12V power plug ?

Yep, this is a flush mount Anderson plug.

i installed this a while ago as the power supply for my portable compressor, 

• Like (+1) 3

Nice project @Stumpy Pajthanks for sharing.. how did you engineer the ventilation of the compressor to ensure it doesn’t overheat specially in summer with excessive use ? Also, I assume you are not relying on the standard 12v outlet to feed the compressor, not sure the standard wiring is good enough for the high amps drawn by the compressor 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Nice project @Stumpy Pajthanks for sharing.. how did you engineer the ventilation of the compressor to ensure it doesn’t overheat specially in summer with excessive use ? Also, I assume you are not relying on the standard 12v outlet to feed the compressor, not sure the standard wiring is good enough for the high amps drawn by the compressor 

Hi mate, cheers, the environment here is definitely a consideration.

there is a large air vent just below the compressor and the cavity it is in holds a large volume of air, probably better than the ARB case it was in previously.  Will test it out on tomorrows drive.

I ran a separate heavy feed direct from battery (inside a protective sleeve) with a 50amp resettable circuit breaker at the battery to protect the wiring and a 50amp fuse at the compressor end to protect the load.  All wiring is marine grade tinned wiring as well as the joints. I will be installing a relay next week so that it’s not hot all the time at the compressor switch.

I have seen the standard that professionals do here and it’s scary so I do my own wiring 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

22 minutes ago, Stumpy Paj said:

Hi mate, cheers, the environment here is definitely a consideration.

there is a large air vent just below the compressor and the cavity it is in holds a large volume of air, probably better than the ARB case it was in previously.  Will test it out on tomorrows drive.

I ran a separate heavy feed direct from battery (inside a protective sleeve) with a 50amp resettable circuit breaker at the battery to protect the wiring and a 50amp fuse at the compressor end to protect the load.  All wiring is marine grade tinned wiring as well as the joints. I will be installing a relay next week so that it’s not hot all the time at the compressor switch.

I have seen the standard that professionals do here and it’s scary so I do my own wiring 

"I have seen the standard that professionals do here and it’s scary so I do my own wiring "

+1000 points on this comment. Whatever you do yourself with care and some basic electrical engineering knowledge will be thousands time better than a guy who is unskilled, in a rush, and doesn't care if your car goes up in flames the following week.

The only thing i personally struggle with sometimes is finding decent quality wiring and relays. Amazon is a bit hit and miss, and the hardware stores here can't even tell the difference in types of wire. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Islam Soliman said:

Well done @Stumpy Paj nice job, and this was my only concern, which @Islam Soliman mentioned. The overheating, which I hope you will not face it. My compressor is fixed, and fully open, but gets really hot after the inflation done.

• Like (+1) 3