Advertise here

Spare wheel cover delete

2 minutes ago, Frederic said:

This mod is usually being done when the tire size changes, so the spare tire doesn’t fit in the original stock cover anymore.

Spare rim should be same size diameter as your other wheels if you’re planning on driving in 4H with center diff lock on. Otherwise your differential and transfer case might get damaged as far as I can remember. In two wheel drive with open diff this is not an issue of course.

Yep, plus the extra weight on the rear door and ease of access, ability to get the tyre off the door without having to open the back door.

I was planning on modding the rear door for a work table/storage that would have made access to the standard removal bolts difficult.

Personal preference but I am not a fan of the plastic cover, makes the car look like a old man’s car 😜

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Frederic said:

This mod is usually being done when the tire size changes, so the spare tire doesn’t fit in the original stock cover anymore.

Spare rim should be same size diameter as your other wheels if you’re planning on driving in 4H with center diff lock on. Otherwise your differential and transfer case might get damaged after a while as far as I can remember. In two wheel drive with open diff this is not an issue of course.

If you rotate amongst 5 tires then definitely they should be identical.

issue i had was the new tyres fit just fine. (265/65R17) but because of the different offset of the new rims the door cover would not close.

Looked around for a nice delete for my model but decided it was easier to sawzal 4.5cm of depth off the spare tyre mount and weld it back together so that it was the right size.

problem solved and could leave the covers, lights, sensors etc alone. (apart from the old man look problem)

Edited by PAJERO petelczyc luke
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

for other old people in this thread: there is another way... and I would love to try this in conjunction with some big-ass compressor to fit just behind the wheel too... The thread is here. If I ever decided to change tyres offset, I would go with this approach (albeit not as extreme as this one).

CoverSpacer2.jpg.d8d668c1c1d03a16b3b2fd6154619750.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

13 minutes ago, Marek_was003 said:

for other old people in this thread: there is another way... and I would love to try this in conjunction with some big-ass compressor to fit just behind the wheel too... The thread is here. If I ever decided to change tyres offset, I would go with this approach (albeit not as extreme as this one).

CoverSpacer2.jpg.d8d668c1c1d03a16b3b2fd6154619750.jpg

If you fancy installing a smaller type of compressor behind the spare tire, have a look here: 

https://www.nsvauto.com/compressors

The ARB  compressors are also being mounted regularly in the spare tire space of Nissan patrols.

IMG_6849.jpeg.c9566bf7a4c44856a3c6e95358b09985.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 minutes ago, Frederic said:

If you fancy installing a smaller type of compressor behind the spare tire, have a look here: 

https://www.nsvauto.com/compressors

The ARB  compressors are also being mounted regularly in the spare tire space of Nissan patrols.

IMG_6849.jpeg.c9566bf7a4c44856a3c6e95358b09985.jpeg

I fit the ARB inside my cut down spare mount with lots of free space. Could probably fit a ARB twin inside the standard spare wheel mount.

Works well.

https://carnity.com/forums/topic/18830-on-board-air-compressor-install/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Personally i decided to cut and weld the spare tire mount it was like a 1 hour job. Kept everything in place 😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

since I replaced stock rims and tyres with FJ cruiser 2022 big tyres - 265/70/17 they won't fit my rear cover...technician tried many ways but wouldn't fit....Marek's option looks much better with compressor fitted but I would prefer Stumpy's way....btw I also contacted the Australian guy who made this originally... Joseph Jenson...he says 890aed...I think it is expensive....looking for someone to fabricate this locally in UAE...will keep you posted...thanks for your suggestions guys... :)

• Like (+1) 2