•  
Advertise here

Fuel smell

Hi guys,

My Disco 2 has a strong fuel smell coming from the engine compartment.... Whenever I drive with the window opened it get's really nasty inside.

I've looked underneath and cant find any droping... Has this happened to anyone?

I've also looked at the engine but the big inlet manifold is covering the complete fuel system and so I can't even see a hose!!

Do you recommend any reliable/capable workshop to have a look at it?

Thanks in advance to all of you! :)

Let the car engine run and sit down the driver side outside and smell below the car, it seems for sure that your exhaust pipe is leaking (minor) under the driver seat area, thats where its pipe passes from. If you spot the leak, you can take it to any welding guys who can close that leak (its safe and common practise). In older cars pipe tend to leak from several places. If thats the case you are better off changing the whole exhaust pipe. Couple of hundred dirhams.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your reply. In that case the smell would be of burned fuel, right? I think mine is pure raw fuel... I try that anyway!

Another thing I noticed is that my car has "moods"... sometimes the engine is really lazy and other times is really nervous! I cannot relate it to the fuel issue but if I have a fuel leak than the fuel pressure would be influenced and that would affect the performance, right?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I had the same problem on my Disco 2 , and it turned out to be the fuel filler neck had actually come away from the car and the fuel cap wasent properly screwing on >>>> hence the strong petrol smell in the car ...... hope this helps

Hello!

Thanks for the reply! Meanwhile, I've changed the spark plugs and the "moods" are gone. Someone already mentioned to me the issue with the fuel filler neck! At the moment I'm out of the country but as soon as I'm back I'll have a look! Did you have to replace yours? If yes, is it expensive? Do you have to lower the fuel tank?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Its really strange but only the rubber around the neck had completely gone ! just melted ..... I managed to pull the filler neck back thru the hole and secured a jubilee clip around it to stop it falling back down ..... this has worked fine.

I have just cured a spluttering as well ..... new spark plugs and a coil pack ....... running like a dream now.

Good luck with yours,