•  
Advertise here

Bushes and brakes replacement

Hello guys, 

So my pajero has been making noises for a few months when I apply brakes or go on a gradient at slow speed, specially when I switch on the car and exit my underground parking, or when I stop on speedbumps. 

I got my car checked from a trusted source, and it appears my upper and lower arm bushes are cracked and need to be changed, plus rear brakes also need a change. I've been informed original parts for bushes are not available, they're selling the full assembly, hence a more cost effective option to go for Taiwan parts for bushes. Just wanted to know if that effects performance? the guy told me they'll last a lot less but won't affect performance of the car. as they'll fit them through lathe pressing (which I dont understand tbh). 

They also said my front brakes are at 35% and need to be replaced. My only issue with that is I just changed my front brakes 18 months ago, is it usual for brakes to wear out so quickly specially when I don't do weekly offroading or anything, just sometimes? The total work is costing me around 1700 dirhams which includes upper and lower arm bushes, rear brake pads, skimming, lathe pressing, and includes the car's usual service at 130000 KM. 

Seems to be fair deal on paper, just wanted to understand if I am running any risks on this, or should I replace front brakes as well? Would love some feedback :)

• Like (+1) 1

The Taiwan bushes should be perfectly fine and won't affect performance. These things are not rocket science. With lathe pressing they mean that they will take off the complete arm and use a hydraulic bench press to insert the bushes into the holes of the arm. This is recommended instead of hammering them in which would again damage the bushes and limit their lifetime. @shadow79 did my Pajero recently and the difference with the new bushes is amazing. 

Your brakes don't wear much from off-roading as we avoid using them in the desert as you'd get bogged in too easily. They wear from using them often, and that depends much on your driving style. Many people can't seem to read the traffic and keep driving hard until the last minute and then smash on the brakes. Not saying that you are one of those drivers but just stating that the biggest influence of brake wear is wheel alignment and driving behavior. How many miles did you do in those 18 months ?

1700 dirhams looks ok for these works. 

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Some tips on how to extend the lifetime of your brakes and fuel:

Plan your brakes: Anticipate the traffic or turn ahead of you to avoid hard braking. Always keep an eye on brake light of 3-4 vehicles ahead of you and leave the acceleration as soon they brake. This will give you enough time to slowly approach the braking vehicle and slow down your car with little or no brake. This conserve lot of fuel and also saves the brake pads and brake rotors/disc.

Always keep a long enough following distance to the vehicle directly in front of you to avoid having to adapt your own speed to the traffic flow all the time. Maintain a following distance of at least four to five seconds to avoid continually having to brake and accelerate.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

With a Pajero, I rarely run the risk of braking too late as anyways the car needs some time break smoothly so I usually maintain distance and very rarely need to smash breaks. I do drive with a lot lane changes and light breaks going to office and coming back but none of it is what one would consider hard breaking, I think I do manage it well. 

I do more of mountain off roading than desert, so often traversing through hard rocks or coming down on steep gradients can also effect brakes I guess? 

I think i have done about 30-35000 KM in 18 months. 

• Like (+1) 1

Those bushes should last unless you go superman with them...which will surely drop it life...and 35% should last you till 1 more oil change lat it run till then...as you are opening up the arms you must get alignment checked as well

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, GumbyAKhan said:

With a Pajero, I rarely run the risk of braking too late as anyways the car needs some time break smoothly so I usually maintain distance and very rarely need to smash breaks. I do drive with a lot lane changes and light breaks going to office and coming back but none of it is what one would consider hard breaking, I think I do manage it well. 

I do more of mountain off roading than desert, so often traversing through hard rocks or coming down on steep gradients can also effect brakes I guess? 

I think i have done about 30-35000 KM in 18 months. 

Yes, on mountain offroading your brakes will have to work a lot more than in the desert. I think 35000 kms with the same brakepads is fine. Again this depends on so many factors. I drive 55 kms to work and all on E611. Hardly need to use my brakes if i drive a bit "smart".

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GumbyAKhan said:

so often traversing through hard rocks or coming down on steep gradients can also effect brakes I guess? 

500%, as brakes are always pressed under full load and when heated up, they wear the brake pad faster than melting ice.

35K on single pad is pretty decent and actually good knowing you have done mountain descend too.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I know a few drivers like that. Its either full accelerator or full brakes. No middle ground. You start to get woozy after 5 mintues of sitting with them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, desertdude said:

I know a few drivers like that. Its either full accelerator or full brakes. No middle ground. You start to get woozy after 5 mintues of sitting with them.

Exactly, even many taxi drivers are like that. It frustrates me like crazy. 🤬

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

When I started driving I used to go through a set of pads every 3 months. The security guard at work had a nice Mercedes C class so I started chatting to him about it. Old model but clean and well looked after. Turned out he bought the car brand new 9 years previously and was still running the original pads. I asked him how? He told me the harder you press any of the pedals, the more it will cost you, so just relax and enjoy the scenery. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3