•  
Advertise here

Desert Cleanup Drive

Nivin

I also thought about that, because it is horrible to find plastic and bottles at such an extent in these beautiful areas.  But we also have to think in our own safety.  

What we can do, maybe, is document the piles of garbage in the desert and promote a cleaner culture.  And perhaps the government will join us in a cleaning / conscious creation campaign.  In the end, the desert is one of the touristic attractions of the UAE and it should be in the government's interest to preserve it.

• Like (+1) 8

@Alexander Alcala we have always run all our desert cleanup campaigns with the help of Dubai and Sharjah Muncipality. Without their help we would not be able to clean up tonnes of rubbish in 2 - 3 hours. But at this point in time the safety of our community is at stake. I even remember @Ale Vallecchi family picking up plastic and dirt from a portion of the desert pre-Covid times, but I do not see this as something to do with the current situation. We will however monitor the situation from time to time and put forward a proposal to Dubai Muncipality as soon as the situation gets better.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

The only way we can make things better is not by picking up someone's garbage, but to spread the awareness by speaking to people about the mess they create and the consequences.

Agree with @Rahimdad now we should be looking for the tools to spread such awareness .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

On 10/25/2020 at 7:42 PM, Nivin said:

Last Friday when we were almost finishing the drive at Murqquab we saw a huge pile of waste in the sand seems like a party left over and it was very sad to see.

Totally agree with Rahimdad on this, after COVID we can't do such things.

Btw, Dubai municipality fine upto 50k dhs for desert safari camp sites for leaving any trash behind. 

If you suspect it was a party or safari camp trash send the pin location to DM and they will figure out the way to handle it. 

Good observation and concern for wild life, well done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 2 months later...

I've been in three Carnity drives so far and I've seen so many spots where garbage is left behind, it is really sad.

Today, my son and I were in Al Qudra, we came across a spot (24o 47' 50" N / 55o 24' 32" E) where clearly there was a year end's party with lots of trash left behind, my son has been listening in the radio the campaign "Keep the desert clean" and asked if we could clean a bit, which I could not help but agree to.

He used his little shovel to pile garbage, I put on gloves and picked up around 4 bags of trash, mostly whatever was on the surface, bottles of liquor, tin cans of all sorts, unused plastic plates, water bottles, etc. There is so much garbage still there, buried in the sand, if anyone can let me know how to send the location to DM then I will be happy to do so.

We ensured we wore a mask at all times and sanitized well after picking up and dropping the bags in the trash bin.

20210123_161758.jpg

20210123_164255.jpg

20210123_164304.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 8

Mira community where I live are doing regular desert cleanups on the weekend. Unfortunately my weekend is filled with Carnity drives, but they collect hundreds of trash bags and work together with DM.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Nivin, @Mario Cornejo, @Alexander Alcala we also have discussed the possibility of organizing such clean up drives with the sponsorship and cooperation of a water company whose CEO took one of our Masterclasses (and voiced his disappointment at the pollution in the desert). Nonetheless, more than the sanitary aspect of collecting garbage - mostly plastic, glass and cans which have been exposed tsun, wind, hot and cold for quite sometimes, thus very unlikely to be infectious, if picked up with gloves and masks - the current regulations about limiting gatherings prevent us from setting up such organized, officially sponsored drives, and from advertising or raising awareness about such group activity. I believe we'll just have to wait a little longer, to tackle this issue, which is very much at heart for all of us. Surely we will be able to resume these drives in the future.

At the same time, as @Rahimdad said, there will never be enough drives to solve this problem if the culture and habits of desert going people is not changed. As a club we are doing our best, but may certainly do more, by rehiterating the concept of "bringing out what we bring in" with our briefings and advertise our drives as "pollution free", marking "trash dumps" points and alerting authorities of their location (especially in wildlife protected areas, as Marshald and Leaders we could stop the drive for the time necessary to take the waypoint). I guess any idea on how to spread this awareness is welcome, as we all wish this problem to be solved (or limited).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4