Afternoon Newbie Desert Drive - Searching for Water: A drive with the Geologist - Solar Park, Dubai - 6 May 2023

Level:  Newbie and above (all levels)

Meeting time: 3.00 PM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SmfJjJBJSjvqWtHK6

Action Plan: We'll drive from Solar Park's tarmac road toward the Bab al Shams's road, crossing the southern Qudra area, in search of .... water, that is either the remnants of its presence, or the still active and maintained water springs and lakes that characterize this part of Dubai's desert (not the well known, "touristy" ones, but the truly natural bodies of water, springing and flowing amidst the sand). We'll cross all sorts of dunes, tall and low, open and tight, mostly in a south to north direction, working on our side-sloping and dune crossing (mostly straight, with first rudiments of easy criss-crossing, when possible, with absolute safety). I will have a Geologist with me in the car, who will point out the causes, and/or the significance, of the phenomena linked with the past and present water bodies that we'll see during our drive. 

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 7:00 pM

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 12 cars maximum. RSVP will close on Wednesday - 5 PM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members that do not confirm the terms of the COVID requirements will be removed from the RSVP list.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

Please RSVP on below calendar 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Emmanuelle Ifrah said:

Hi Ale. Thanks a lot for organising, we're really looking forward to attending ! Can I please check how the meeting point will be communicated ? Do we need to get added to the whatsapp group for this event ?

Hi @Emmanuelle Ifrah! Welcome to Carnity Offroad Club !

@Ale Vallecchiwill be posting the meeting point here in the same drive topic soon.

As this is your first drive with the club, kindly go through our Absolute Newbie video briefing:

As essential tools to start off with, you will be needing an offroad flag, a two-way radio programmed to our frequencies, a tyre deflator so you can deflate your tyres upon arrival, and a compressor so you can inflate them again. If you do not have a radio yet we can usually lend you a spare one for that day.

I will tag Deepak @DP1011also in here as he is also signed up for the drive and part of our Support Team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi Ale. Thanks a lot for organising, we're really looking forward to attending ! Can I please check how the meeting point will be communicated ? Do we need to get added to the whatsapp group for this event ?

Hi @Emmanuelle Ifrah - Welcome to the club ! Looking forward to see you tomorrow ! You will hear about the exact meeting point later today, will be somewhere closer to Qudra last exit, , and as regards communications - all the communication happens on Carnity page on the event you see like meeting point, convoy numbering etc. 

As I see you are first timer with the club, please confirm which 4x4 do you drive, whether your vehicle has tow points at the front and back. Do you have any previous off-roading experience? Please ensure that you go through the video prior to coming for the drive  ( The link @Frederic posted above). this will be very helpful to gain some insights as you embark on an amazing learning journey :) . 

As highlighted - This channel remains the medium of communications, in case you have anything specific please feel free to reach out with questions if any :)  See you tomorrow ! 

(P.S - Please make sure passengers if any are Okay to be spending 3-4 hours in desert drive and not having any car sickness issues  - My personal suggestion is to not have too many passengers which will help you to have right focus and concentration) 

• Like (+1) 4

Dear @Emmanuelle Ifrah, welcome to the Club and the drive. I will post the meeting point ASAP, on the drive' post's main page. I will re-confirm it when I'll send all the drivers a final brief. 

I can see that both @Frederic and @DP1011 have provided the necessary links, info and comments (thanks a lot guys!) to get you ready for the drive. Please, read carefully. I'll also give you another briefing prior to starting the drive. 

See you tomorrow afternoon.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks all for the details. My husband and I will both join tomorrow. We have both done a one day desert driving training with EDI and our first off road drive with another club last week.

We have a Nissan Patrol V8, flag, radio, shovel, tyre deflator, compressor and loads of enthusiasm and willingness to learn ! See you all tomorrow. 

Also confirm I have seen the video and have a question. Should we deflate to 15PSI tomorrow ? (We seem to get a different number every drive, hence my asking for confirmation on this point).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

6 minutes ago, Emmanuelle Ifrah said:

Thanks all for the details. My husband and I will both join tomorrow. We have both done a one day desert driving training with EDI and our first off road drive with another club last week.

We have a Nissan Patrol V8, flag, radio, shovel, tyre deflator, compressor and loads of enthusiasm and willingness to learn ! See you all tomorrow. 

Also confirm I have seen the video and have a question. Should we deflate to 15PSI tomorrow ? (We seem to get a different number every drive, hence my asking for confirmation on this point).

Fantastic @Emmanuelle Ifrah We will have a detailed de-brief by our Lead Ale , including what PSI depending on what tyres your patrol has got:) See you tomorrow:)

Edited by DP1011
  • Like (+1) 1

Dear @Emmanuelle Ifrah thanks for the info. We can look into the deflation issue together, based on the type of tires you mount. Don't worry. I am going to post the last drive's info next. See you tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use