•  

Morning Fewbie Overlanding Drive - Al Dhaid Oasis to Dibba Al Hisn - Sharjah - 11 June 2023

Frederic

Drive Plan

In the olden days, Bedouins travelled across the UAE and used various crucial landmarks that had an oasis as resting points and to resupply with water and food. Al Dhaid Oasis was one of the most well-known, and the fort was built to protect it from outsiders.

IMG_4390.jpg.c694909c1801f396a42720c3e6b71444.jpg

We will be using backroads, farm tracks, and wadis, to make our way similar to the Bedouins did.
This first session will start from Al Dhaid Oasis and will take us to Dibba Al Hisn beach. This will not be a dunebashing drive, rather an exploration on existing trails, dunes, and mountain trails, with the occasional piece of tarmac. Please take note of this. If you have done overlanding drives with us before than you will have a good idea on what to expect. 

There is no need to bring your offroad flag, and we will only deflate to 25psi at the starting point.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie and above (all levels)

Meeting time: 7:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Nearby Al Dhaid Fort:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NSNwm4EmxZCQ5paS9?g_st=ic

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 11:00-12:00 AM

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 cars maximum. RSVP will close on Saturday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members that do not confirm the terms of the COVID requirements will be removed from the RSVP list.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

Please RSVP on below calendar 

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• Frederic changed the title to Morning Fewbie Overlanding Drive - Al Dhaid Oasis to Dibba Al Hisn - Sharjah - 11 june 2023
  • Gaurav changed the title to Morning Fewbie Overlanding Drive - Al Dhaid Oasis to Dibba Al Hisn - Sharjah - 11 June 2023
13 minutes ago, DanielN said:

Good evening! 
Is this drive comparable with the scenic drives earlier in the year? Or is “overlanding” something else?

Hi @DanielN ! The scenic drives are very similar to overlanding. This time we won’t be spending too much time in the dunes but head out further into the mountains and there’s a bit of tarmac also involved to get to the point where we need to be. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Hi @DanielN ! The scenic drives are very similar to overlanding. This time we won’t be spending too much time in the dunes but head out further into the mountains and there’s a bit of tarmac also involved to get to the point where we need to be. 

Great! The wife enjoyed the scenic ones, so I suppose she'd enjoy this one too.
I've added myself to the Waitlist :) 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Good Morning All !

Confirmed for the drive:

@Rajesh NG@Daniel Rodas@Ben Lee@Frans M@Nadeem Ansari@Pavel Pashkovskiy@Tom V@Marketa Dobesova@Felix Obst@Pacific @Looper@Hisham Masaad

Waitlisted Attendees:

A few points to note about this drive and overlanding in general:

1. The concept of overlanding in UAE is about selecting a start and an endpoint, and to map out a route to get there. The emphasis is on avoiding tarmac as much as possible, but to use existing farm tracks and trails. While overlanding can in theory take hours, days, weeks, or months, the concept itself remains the same. In the winter time i am planning similar drives over longer distances that will involve camping.

2. The aim of this drive is to explore the beautiful scenery UAE has to offer, so bring your camera and try to make it an enjoyable morning without any pressure. Bring family members if you like as they will definitely enjoy it !

3. We will deflate to 25psi and not lower. The reason is we want to be able to cross tarmac parts at 50-70 km/h easily. On 25psi you will have a better traction and a bit of dampening which will help in the wadis. You don't need to put up your flag at the starting point. 

4. The plan is to end the drive at Dibba al Hisn beach I would love to have a group photo of all of us at the shoreline as it think it would be Carnity's first beach photo of a convoy ! (we will need to leave the cars at the parking).

5. It will be crucial to keep an eye on the car behind you and communicate well over the radio, as we will be driving a small part through the city and we don't want anyone to lose the convoy. Our sweep will have the planned route on his GPS as well. @Looper

6. You will be able to swap between 2H and 4H throughout the drive as per your convenience. Especially on the tarmac parts we recommend switching to 2H to avoid differentials damage. In the sandy parts and once we enter the mountains you will need to keep it in 4H of course.

See you all soon !

This sounds amazing @Frederic🤩

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Brilliant plan and pre drive brief @Frederic I am sure the photo at the beach will be too . I wish I can take part of this one 😔

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Fantastic intro @Frederic , I have something committed else would have loved to be part of this epic drive -

P.S : Mandatory Gear to include "Beach wears"  for the photoshoot at the end ? :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DP1011 said:

Fantastic intro @Frederic , I have something committed else would have loved to be part of this epic drive -

P.S : Mandatory Gear to include "Beach wears"  for the photoshoot at the end ? :D

hahaha you have a good idea there !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use