•  
Advertise here

‘23 Prado Limited.vs.’23 LC300 VXR 4.0

@Nilakantan Erode yeah, have to admit I haven’t given the Lexus due consideration, will delve further into that. The stock SWB Suzuki has served a solid 200k kms and has held up ok with basic maintenance. As the family grows my off-road time is reducing hence this thread. Most important thing is the missus blessing the purchase 🙌

@Gaurav I’m sort of convinced (perhaps sheepishly) that I can’t go wrong with any Toyota/Lexus product, esp. one made in Japan. I’ll research both Lexus and Prado recalls/TSB’s, but in general my experience with Lexus through a sedan in the family is a great like @Nilakantan Erode mentioned even with relatively heavy use.

@Stumpy Paj Sounds like you have a similar use scenario. From research both the 1GR-FE and the 1UR-FE seem to have the best reliability out there mated to the 6-speed on both Prado and GX460, respectively. My mind is telling me better to get a top trim for the extra bells+whistles for the first years of use during warranty. The top trim GX pricing is closer to the LC300 4.0 VXR and that’s another comparison altogether. Will definitely check out GXOR.

Overall, the GX looks like a better purchase on paper, with the main trade off compared to Prado being the lesser fuel capacity and marginally higher fuel consumption. Don’t think both of these will be a big factor in my case. I will probably put together a spec comparison spreadsheet, with Pros /Cons and see what I end up with.

Edited by Ismail
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Ismail said:

@Nilakantan Erode yeah, have to admit I haven’t given the Lexus due consideration, will delve further into that. The stock SWB Suzuki has served a solid 200k kms and has held up ok with basic maintenance. As the family grows my off-road time is reducing hence this thread. Most important thing is the missus blessing the purchase 🙌

@Gaurav I’m sort of convinced (perhaps sheepishly) that I can’t go wrong with any Toyota/Lexus product, esp. one made in Japan. I’ll research both Lexus and Prado recalls/TSB’s, but in general my experience with Lexus through a sedan in the family is a great like @Nilakantan Erode mentioned even with relatively heavy use.

@Stumpy Paj Sounds like you have a similar use scenario. From research both the 1GR-FE and the 1UR-FE seem to have the best reliability out there mated to the 6-speed on both Prado and GX460, respectively. My mind is telling me better to get a top trim for the extra bells+whistles for the first years of use during warranty. The top trim GX pricing is closer to the LC300 4.0 VXR and that’s another comparison altogether. Will definitely check out GXOR.

Overall, the GX looks like a better purchase on paper, with the main trade off compared to Prado being the lesser fuel capacity and marginally higher fuel consumption. Don’t think both of these will be a big factor in my case. I will probably put together a spec comparison spreadsheet, with Pros /Cons and see what I end up with.

It’s a hell of a decision, I have been around 4wds for 35+ years now and the Japanese cars have always been the pick. I would probably get in trouble saying “i would buy a 10year old second hand Japanese car over a European or American in most cases”, so I won’t say it. 😅

My GX460 uses noticeably less fuel than my Pajero.

Personally wouldn’t look at the 300 with the 4.0v6. It’s too much car for that engine (like the 4.0v6 in the patrol)

the 250 series looks good, I think it will come with the 4.0 as a option as well. But will be a bit of a wait for delivery.

if you are going to look at a GX for off road definitely get the bottom spec one. You can upgrade the suspension easy and it’s lighter without the electric rear seats, and the ventilated front seats. KDSS has been around for awhile now and is actually a very good system, so don’t be scared off taking it off road by a E11 salesman. The minister for war and finance will love the GX drive.

Good luck 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Stumpy Paj said:

The minister for war and finance

You are surely a wise guy, my friend.

3 hours ago, Stumpy Paj said:

i would buy a 10year old second hand Japanese car over a European or American in most cases”,

I had a similar conversation with my brother who wasn't understanding my language either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:35 PM, Gautam Banka said:

The only issue I struggle is rpm which is locked at 4,000 and above that the ECU takes over and doesn’t allow no matter how much gas you press hard.

For all dunes in UAE if you are not doing dare devil extreme drives this is more than enough. 😀

I am traveling at the moment and would take you for a drive when I arrive end of the month. You can drive my tuned Prado 2022 model. 

look at a comparison I had made few days back when I wanted to buy off-road trading the Prado. 

IMG_9833.jpeg.b63ff9491be2357f22ddd674f26e5391.jpeg

the first three Toyota still cheapest and multi purpose.

@Gautam Banka i have 2022 prado as well,i dont have any cutt of issues,i have been trying to tune my car but ecu is locked ,wouldn't mind catching up with you once you're back to learn more about the tunning.

• Like (+1) 1

So I took a detour en route home earlier and spoke to a Lexus sales person. As luck would have it, I just caught the last orders for the final batch of current generation GX’s arriving in 1-2 months then it’s a wrap for the 460. Funny enough, the only cars that were rolling off to new owners were 3 GX’s, looks like everyone’s trying to catch the last of the Toyota/Lexus SUV V8’s.

I sat in one of the GX’s and was immediately sold, the latest center stack update is a major upgrade from my last experience as a passenger in a mid-2010’s GX. Since I’m going to be on the road most of the time, the Prado doesn’t really compare. Decision was made for a top spec GX absent Minister of W&F so will wait to see a surprised face in a couple of months hopefully when we walk over to the Lexus side instead of Toyota :D 

Thanks a lot to everyone for “sway”ing the decision in the right direction!

Edited by Ismail
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Oh, and the red interior by Lexus is just different, has more of a pop than the BMW red/burgundy. It’s the only option aside from black and I don’t mind that at all :D

I am only stuck between white and titanium exterior paint. I feel the titanium is the signature color for this generation of Lexuses and should age well combined with the red interior, meanwhile white paint is the standard choice in the region when the 40-50 degrees heatwave hits like nowadays. What’s the verdict hereabouts on exterior colors?

Pearl white, anyday, personal choice though. Titanium grey is not bad either, look for ministers say as well to have all round happiness on board.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.