•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Lesaily Run Rewind (Qudra to Lisaili) - Dubai - 3 Sep 2023

Looper

@Abhilash Kottakkal I doubt you can go wrong with BFGs.

One might say they are heavy. Say even if they are 5 kg heavy compared to your stock tires, at the end for 5 tires it's about 25 kg, which is like half an adult or a child - I don't know about others but I will personally don't bother much about weight. They can be noisy on the road. But I drive Jeep so I am one of the worst person to comment anything on it because the wind noise itself will muffle any road noise when I drive over 80.

Having those negatives out of the way; I drove 90k on my previous set of which at least 30% was in desert; and it had another 10-20k on them still. They have thick sidewall and give and I regularly go down to 10 psi when I start a drive and don't bother about deflating again during the drive. They are perfect for sand as well as rocks of our wadis. Of course there are many other good tires but I as I mentioned at the start  hardly you can really go wrong with them; perhaps that's why a large number of off-roaders use these tires.

don't drive like its your last one.

Thank you for your reply. @Looper.gave some good confidence.. looking forward to see the difference in my next drive. 

32 minutes ago, Looper said:

@Abhilash Kottakkal I doubt you can go wrong with BFGs.

One might say they are heavy. Say even if they are 5 kg heavy compared to your stock tires, at the end for 5 tires it's about 25 kg, which is like half an adult or a child - I don't know about others but I will personally don't bother much about weight. They can be noisy on the road. But I drive Jeep so I am on the worst person to comment anything on it because the wind noise itself will muffle any road noise when I drive over 80.

Having those negatives out of the way; I drove 90k on my previous set of which at least 30% was in desert; and it had another 10-20k on them still. They have thick sidewall and give and I regularly go down to 10 psi when I start a drive and don't bother about deflating again during the drive. They are perfect for sand as well as rocks of our wadis. Of course there are many other good tires but I as I mentioned at the start  hardly you can really go wrong with them; perhaps that's why a large number of off-roaders use these tires.

On 8/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, Looper said:

a drive that aims to awaken a sense of joy and contentment, not by racing against time, but by savoring every moment along the way.

Congrats @Looper on graduating to another level, so fast.

Soon you will realize that this style will grow fast on you.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 hours ago, Looper said:

Say even if they are 5 kg heavy compared to your stock tires, at the end for 5 tires it's about 25 kg, which is like half an adult or a child

Its not about 25 kg weight, its about axle, tranny, driveshaft has to rotate 5 kg heavier tire (rotational weight) that deliver lesser WHP (wheel horse power) result in slightly lesser climbing capabilities.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Its not about 25 kg weight, its about axle, tranny, driveshaft has to rotate 5 kg heavier tire (rotational weight) that deliver lesser WHP (wheel horse power) result in slightly lesser climbing capabilities.

True..as a mechanical engineer I understand...but overall if we look it's just a slight loss of power ..my wife told me today it seems the engine is Rev up a little more than the previous...we have to trust them for sure...and next time in the desert I will Rev it up more to compensate  and hope it will do...my intention to stay alfloat like the jeep guys and take forward the desert driving....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Abhilash Kottakkal said:

True..as a mechanical engineer I understand...but overall if we look it's just a slight loss of power ..my wife told me today it seems the engine is Rev up a little more than the previous...we have to trust them for sure...and next time in the desert I will Rev it up more to compensate  and hope it will do...my intention to stay alfloat like the jeep guys and take forward the desert driving....

@Abhilash Kottakkal You should have told me before Getting tyres replaced, I would have given you a better suggestion. I would have told you, Get 5BFG tyres but along with Jeep fitted to them 😂😂!

• Haha (+1) 4

@DP1011 jeep is a no no for me...I think they are just exploting the trail rating...mh experience with just few drives with jeep is the best..but with no comfort for the family and also the driver...I took a big risk by going with montero sport...let see how long it can take me...let's push it...😅😅😅may be we can tell one day to the newbies I survived....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

40 minutes ago, Abhilash Kottakkal said:

As an accountant I don't understand much about the mechanics. But I will make good presentation with charts with the the stats at the end of the drive.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's hope I won't be the disappointing one ...😄 but short experience with carnity...you can guys are more supportive than we could as newbies can imagine and big salute to that....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, Looper said:

I am not going to make this one my usual "Looper Drive" where my objective is to maintain high speeds and reach the end point in a hurry and try to beat the time records, I maintain in my spreadsheet. This drive is going to be a deliberate choice not to give an adrenaline rush, there is no rush hour chaos. Instead, it will attempt to be a dopamine rush, a drive that aims to awaken a sense of joy and contentment, not by racing against time, but by savoring every moment along the way.

I will compare the objectives of the drive akin to Tai Chi. Tai Chi, known for its graceful and effortless movements, teaches us the value of balance and harmony. Similarly, this drive is a chance to harmonize with the desert, to flow with the curves and bends like a serene dance. Your accelerator becomes your brush, and the dune is your canvas—painting strokes of mindfulness and peace.

Join for a Dopamine Drive; a mindful expedition that promises not just to take you places, but to bring you closer to yourself.

@Ignacio Quindós, @Cristian, @Miguel Codes, @Felix Obst, @Johannes Roux & @Vanessa8580

Thank you very much for joining the Sunday morning Fewbie drive.

I just wanted to reiterate once again that driving is going to be easy on the car and the driver - well at least that is my attempt going to be. 

We will be on Channel 3.

Important Information

Terms of use