Advertise here

Spare wheel cover delete

September’s project 🥴

I am planning to delete the spare wheel cover and the plastic trim on the rear door.

i have just received the fibreglass replacement panels and I am waiting on delivery of the licence plate holder to go in the middle of the spare wheel.

two  questions for anyone who has done this.

1. what to do with the rear parking sensors? If you unplug the them do the other two still work or do all 4 need to be plugged in? 

2. is it a legal requirement to have the rear fog light?

IMG_5009.jpeg.90f4bf11df77637bb35f4728bb46189d.jpegthank you

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 1 month later...

It’s taken a while to finish this project, my number plate mount got lost in shipment for a few weeks 

IMG_5439.jpeg.7fcdbc4829424a93d7b07bc594dfc65e.jpeg

Before

IMG_5441.jpeg.081f37a881a6b9d633c03a2233b629ba.jpeg

2CF56D8E-70D3-4FE7-AC09-FE832FF712FA.jpeg.01c038bf7954b773b07ec5a465a34fa1.jpeg

questioning my sanity with the wiring

IMG_5448.jpeg.1566f198ca014b5a78db50d5cd3659a7.jpeg

after, still need to sort out the reverse sensors. Had to make a loom with plugs for the camera and number plate light so I can get the tyre off easy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

1 hour ago, PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke said:

looks good mate. Im pretty keen to give it a try after seeing the end result!

Was pretty easy in the end, still need to relocate the parking sensors to the bumper, found if you unplug them the alarm goes off every time you put it in reverse, but if you leave them plugged in and taped together so the sensor are hard up against each other the alarm stops and the others still work 😂

nearly 11kg of weight removed from the rear door 😳

• WOW (+2) 2

• 3 months later...

@OffroadPAJ, I know this doesn't answer your question, but why don't you keep the stock rim as spare and maintain the whole thing as is? I mean - it's for emergency only, so... why not? I wouldn't want to install any half-done products if these were not the best quality and stock look is somehow the most clean you can get on this car...

21 hours ago, OffroadPAJ said:

From where did you buy these panels from....
One garage has already removed the tyre cover and routed the cables to mount number plate, sensors and light but doesn't look clean....now i only need these panels...

Hi mate, I got the panels and the number plate relocation bracket from Australia. A bit more expensive but much better quality. They fitted like a dream.

should be easy enough to find on google. I have sold my paj and all the bits/records that go with it.

• WOW (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Marek_was003 said:

@OffroadPAJ, I know this doesn't answer your question, but why don't you keep the stock rim as spare and maintain the whole thing as is? I mean - it's for emergency only, so... why not? I wouldn't want to install any half-done products if these were not the best quality and stock look is somehow the most clean you can get on this car...

This mod is usually being done when the tire size changes, so the spare tire doesn’t fit in the original stock cover anymore.

Spare rim should be same size diameter as your other wheels if you’re planning on driving in 4H with center diff lock on. Otherwise your differential and transfer case might get damaged after a while as far as I can remember. In two wheel drive with open diff this is not an issue of course.

If you rotate amongst 5 tires then definitely they should be identical.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."