•  

Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Al Hayer Crossing - Abu Dhabi - 2 Dec 2023

JeromeFJ

@JeromeFJ I would like to join this drive but currently I am Fewbie . I would like to know that if having attended the DCT 2023 will qualify me for this drive.

See you in the morning @JeromeFJ and our carnity convoy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mohammad Sayawoush Azad said:

@JeromeFJ I would like to join this drive but currently I am Fewbie . I would like to know that if having attended the DCT 2023 will qualify me for this drive.

Hi @Mohammad Sayawoush Azad, I'm sorry, but I cannot accept you to the drive if you don't have the specified rank, especially on that short notice and also we have not yet driven together. 

Thank you for your understanding,  and see you for another drive next time.

Beautiful morning for a drive , I hadn’t made it out in a while due to travel.  Great weather - low temperature , cool sunrise and a short convoy, what more could we want.

A new area to explore - check, sweeping at the back at a nice pace. But what could have been was not to be.

For me it started when I was deflating and realised my radio and backup radio were both still on the chargers at home .. thankfully @JeromeFJ had a spare.

Midway point I heard a clunk followed by metal scraping .. result. The front right  Sway bar link top bolt had sheared. @Stumpy Paj of course was on hand with his socket set to remove the remaining of the link. Result 50% more articulation on the right hand side of the Gladiator.  When I got home we had two spares from @Benjamin wrangler, no need to visit the shop.

Well then the incident happened hope you are back on the sands soon @Bravoecho it could have been any of us in this situation. Take care.

looking for to see the pics @Gertjan

Thanks to everyone on this mornings drive see you out there soon. 

Edited by Gary F
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@JeromeFJ Thanks for a great morning out in a beautiful setting! I enjoyed the trip very much. The hidden rigdge was indeed a gem!
I trust all is well and will end well with the not so fortunate.
Some pictures in the gallery for all to remember the great times!
See you all soon on the sand

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you @JeromeFJ for a great drive.

I was really enjoying it until you know what happened.

Looking back through the footage and trying to learn more I have come to the conclusion that when the right rear popped out and the car rotated 90 degrees to the left the right hand side step became a plow and caused the car to roll right.

As you can see in the photo below it bent back until it hit the chassis at which point the car’s inertia threw the car over.

Apologies for shortening everyone’s drive and thank you once again @JeromeFJ for waiting back until the truck arrived.

Will see how fast I can turn around the repairs and get back out on the sand.

P.S Still scratching my head how the side mirrors were untouched 

F634513D-A7AD-4F0D-BD9E-EFDDDCA707B7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad (0) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

Dear Desert Drivers, 

Yes unfortunately, the end of the drive was a bit abrupt. @Bravoecho hopefully you can soon get back on the sand. Yes, a bit low on the ridge, the track a bit churned, and a combination of early fishtail, one wheel on the other side of the ridge,  made the car spin and rotate perpendicular to the ridge, and then the middle of the car got stuck as per your photo, and the car flipped.  Thankfully you were unhurt, and congratulations for keeping your positive attitude after the roll. 

Before that, it was a drive close to perfect, (despite @Gary F's mechanical issue). Nice dunes, unexplored area, beautiful morning light, and a team of very good drivers. The ride was spiced with a few high climbs, a big bowl that was tackled by each of you with determination and control, a special ridge, like descending into the void, and a few others.

@Shahid Mehmood, @Waqar Sarwar, congratulations for your first Fewbie Plus, you went through the challenges with great concentration and control. Nathan @Stumpy Paj, thank you for the second lead and support, good to see you with @Bravoecho after a long time, @Lawrence_Chehimi, @Ashutosh Garg, welcome back in the sand, hope to see you in many drives this winter, @Gertjan @Gary F, thank you for watching the back of the convoy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Sad (0) 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:02 PM, Mohammad Sayawoush Azad said:

DCT is not considered as 1 regular drive for promotion, let alone the whole level for various reasons:

1. Regular drive instill the course correction of specific skill and give everyone ample time to learn each skill correctly and safely.
  2. Regular drive convoy discipline, majorly decides when anyone is ready for the next level or not.
  3. Regular drive stuck and refusal are always welcome and encouraged for skill enhancement, rather than fighting gravity excessively or even borderline, which I am sure all DCT participants must have done during that day.

My humble advice, is don't rush through the promotions and enjoy every drive to learn off-roading safely, which goes a long way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Bravoecho said:

Looking back through the footage and trying to learn more I have come to the conclusion that when the right rear popped out and the car rotated 90 degrees to the left the right hand side step became a plow and caused the car to roll right.

As you can see in the photo below it bent back until it hit the chassis at which point the car’s inertia threw the car over.

Sad to hear this Brette, but glad you were all fine, smiling and still scratching your head for the sideview mirror.

Take it easy, take a rest and deal with insurance firmly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use