•  

DIY - Converting Battery Compressor to High Pressure Gun ?

Dan S

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I use the air gun on ARB twin compressor without a tank. Fuse damaged couple of times which was easily replaced. I try not to use the air gun more than 10 seconds as a stretch and it seems to work without any issue. I use it to mainly clean the interiors.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi @Dan S you need the tank to create the pressure. I have a Viaair 20L tank under the car, fed by two twin compressors. You need to install check valves (to prevent the high pressure back into the compressors) and a safety valve set a pressure lower than the tank maximum pressure rating.

Another alternative, depending on your air filter setup, get 2 dry-filters and exchange them, one for off road and one for city.  Look for cotton based elements, which you can carefully wash and dry.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi @Dan S you need the tank to create the pressure. I have a Viaair 20L tank under the car, fed by two twin compressors. You need to install check valves (to prevent the high pressure back into the compressors) and a safety valve set a pressure lower than the tank maximum pressure rating.

Another alternative, depending on your air filter setup, get 2 dry-filters and exchange them, one for off road and one for city.  Look for cotton based elements, which you can carefully wash and dry.

Many thanks Mario for your reply, did you collaborated with anyone to install those 2 twin compressors and air tank to the car? what was the total budget for this work/garage used?

Yes I agree with you, the 2nd engine air filter is a good approach for clean and good air for your engine.

Hi @Dan S - the original idea is available in YouTube, search for "The Wifey Air System", the basic set up is a compressor feeding 4 lines through a manifold, a valve, a pressure gauge etc.  While researching the parts I decided to add the tank and the remaining parts to safely operate it.

The 2nd compressor is optional, I added it because fuses were being blown frequently in my first compressor installation, but later I found out that the installation was done incorrectly the garage (they even used wires of wrong capacity, I was lucky I did not get a fire as it was a big mess).

As to the parts: I had one compressor and got a used one that was later refurbished, the remaining parts were sourced through Amazon (AE and US).  The Viaair tank is available locally and through Amazon (AE).  If time permits I will try to put a list and share it.

In terms of getting the job done: I was lucky to find a small "boutique" garage that had started operations, they had time and a good electrician that did the cleanest installation I've seen so far. Unfortunately I cannot recommend you anymore than research for garages that focus on projects for overlanding and for you to design the system to your specs, discuss it with the garage and scrutinize every step, and then test the system thoroughly until you are satisfied.

Hope this helps! 

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

7 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi @Dan S - the original idea is available in YouTube, search for "The Wifey Air System", the basic set up is a compressor feeding 4 lines through a manifold, a valve, a pressure gauge etc.  While researching the parts I decided to add the tank and the remaining parts to safely operate it.

The 2nd compressor is optional, I added it because fuses were being blown frequently in my first compressor installation, but later I found out that the installation was done incorrectly the garage (they even used wires of wrong capacity, I was lucky I did not get a fire as it was a big mess).

As to the parts: I had one compressor and got a used one that was later refurbished, the remaining parts were sourced through Amazon (AE and US).  The Viaair tank is available locally and through Amazon (AE).  If time permits I will try to put a list and share it.

In terms of getting the job done: I was lucky to find a small "boutique" garage that had started operations, they had time and a good electrician that did the cleanest installation I've seen so far. Unfortunately I cannot recommend you anymore than research for garages that focus on projects for overlanding and for you to design the system to your specs, discuss it with the garage and scrutinize every step, and then test the system thoroughly until you are satisfied.

Hope this helps! 

Many thanks Mario for your help and clear explanations, I am happy that you got it sorted out in the end! I assume that is quite nice to inflate all 4 tires in the same time :D

Important Information

Terms of use