•  
Advertise here

Show me your walkie-talkie mount!

Ever since I started driving I was super annoyed by my handheld radio swinging left and right and coming out of the cupholders during unfortunate events that occur during sticky situations...

so I started digging. Many many many ideas later, I decided that I don't want to have two radios on me at all times (since the rule here is to "take your radio with you"), so it must be something easy to clip in and out...

and I finally got it right:

DSC_0079.jpg.c0b8d69592ce504564f6eadaa5cf9732.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg.2df5c583e20c39345f8becf539599c04.jpg

If anyone is interested - its creator made it for his JL ;-) But suits great on a Pajero's modified radio dashboard...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6110032

• Like (+1) 3

you can use dual sided tape - it will hold just fine. That's what I did. Drilling it will ensure this thing will keep going round and round and won't be stable, so that's one thing I didn't think it thorough. I drilled a hole and used a screw - it looked ugly, so used the 3m tape and finished it with a nice 5mm drawer plug from Ikea... 

The issue I personally see with these is that the driver uses it when trying to communicate and cannot get close enough to the mic, this results in hardly audible comms that the trip lead or support team, or any other member of the convoy for that matter are not really able to hear what is being said. This can obviously lead to safety issues as we rely on good communication via the radios during the drives. 
so if you have these mounts please take the radio in hand and use it close to your mouth in order that the comms are audible to all. And as @GauravSoni points out it is all too easy to leave it attached to the mount when you exit the car.

I always prefer a breakaway lanyard around my neck.

• Totally Agree (+2) 3