•  
Advertise here

Starting issue after Uphill drive

Hi.

I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (2011) and have clocked around 7000 kms on it. During the recent holidays, I drove to Oman and visited a place called Jebel Ahdhar in Oman. This is located around 1900 meters above sea level. After doing an uphill for about 15 to 20 minutes, I stopped the car at a flat place to see an orchard. Before I got out, I decided to move the vehicle to a more convenient parking space. At this point the vehicle would not start. The omani guide asked me to wait for around 5 to 10 minutes and try again. I did this and this time it started.

Should I be concerned about the vehicle's engine? What should I ask the dealer to check during my next service? Look forward to your valuable advice.

Best regards,

Saju.

Its sounds really interesting and weird.

Weird that it was not starting being uphill.

Interesting, that you started after 5 minutes its started as omani guide said.

I really doubt it could be anything wrong with your beast, it may be due to constant uphill some fuel supply get below fuel pump level and not have enough fuel to start vehicle again if it switched off. This issue or fact must be quite known to those frequent traveler. Still ask the jeep technician if they know some good reason or answer to this issue.

Dear Hashim,

Appreciate your feedback. Sounds like a very logical explanation and has certainly eased my nerves as I had been a person unsure about Jeep's reliability in the past. I shall check with the technicians when I take it for my next service which is due shortly. Thank you for your advice once again.

Best regards,

Saju.

• 2 weeks later...

What i think, it could be becuase if you shut off car when it hot or very hot especially after climb it wont start at same time as it wait to cool down a bit. Its not about new or old car, we should never shut off car when its hot after stress full climb or offroad session. Wait for 5 - 10 minutes and let it come to its normal operating temperature and switch off.

Thanks for all the feedback. Impressed with this forum. The feedback by "monsterjeep" is very new for me. Never knew that one have to wait before switching off the vehicle. The normal instinct would be to switch off the car when it is hot to allow it to cool down. Yes the temperature (indicator/needle) had come up to half of the gauge. Normally it stays much below half. Great feedback. Looks like you are a seasoned off-roader. :-)